Power supply issue with external drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by txporter, Oct 6, 2011.

1. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have replaced the power supply on one of my TivoHD that runs with an external drive twice now (within about 18 months). That particular TivoHD ran on a UPS for most of its life (except the last ~9 months). I have never had to replace a power supply on any other Tivo that I have own. Most of my other tivos to not run with UPS. I am fairly convinced that powering two hard drives is what caused the early failure of the power supply. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Unless you hacked the DVR the external drive has it's own power supply and AC adapter. I don't think the digital signals over the SATA connector adds much load.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Just wondering, what symptoms were you having with a bad power supply? (did the Tivo just refuse to power on at all??)

4. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The symptoms that I was seeing with a bad PS were actually pretty similar to what folks see with a bad drive. My tivo would not complete a reboot. Instead of getting stuck on the welcome screen, it would just reboot again. Sometimes it would get further into the boot sequence, but it would never finish completely before another power cycle.

5. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    This is just a guess; I would bet on something else is wrong with the TiVo and that component is drawing too much power. Since, it is on re-boot I would guess it is motor related. Does the TiVo unit have a fan? Might try checking or replacing it. Other than fan I would say it is likely the hard drive.

Tim S.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, thanks.. My TivoHD is having lots of reboots (and I DID replace the drive -- but copied from an existing drive so it could be filesystem issues).. It seemed like it could be power supply related and I even have some other TivoHDs I bought "for parts" but haven't put in a PS yet to see if it changes anything.

Mine does sometimes reboot 'twice' when it reboots, but so far it has successfully eventually rebooted successfully, and then works "fine" for a while until it reboots again. The reboots seem to be much less frequent if I leave the network cable unplugged.