Power Outage Serious Error

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bevansmd, Jul 21, 2007.

1. bevansmd

bevansmd New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Ankeny, IA
    I have an APC UPS backup system for my tivo. Yesterday, someone was power washing deck (apparently on same circuit as tivo) when the circuit breaker triggered. I thought I was protected by having the battery backup unit supplying power to my tivo and tv. There was some occasional beeping....I assume from the back up. After we reset the circuit breaker, the tivo had a screen that said it had experienced a serious error and might take up to 3 hours to recover. Fortunately, it didn't take that long before it rebooted itself and then was usable. It had been recording shows at the time of the power outage but they were lost. I thought this was the point in having a battery backup.

Am I doing somethng wrong?

2. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    What happened was the Tivo detected a problem with the hard disk and went into repair mode. It's possible the current load on the circuit was enough that the UPS couldn't handle it and the disk problem was caused by bad power.

3. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Was the Tivo 'on' during the power loss? Many APC UPS's have two sets of outlets.... one set that provide battery backup and another set that are only surge protection. Are you plugged into the right set of outlets? If you yank the ups power cord does it kick on and keep the Tivo alive?? (you did connect the battery after you bought the unit... right?) Which APC model? What kind of TV? How long was the power off? A small UPS may only be able to keep a TV and TIVO alive for 10 minutes. Was the TV on at the time?

4. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    How old is the battery in the UPS? They don't last forever...

5. bevansmd

bevansmd New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Ankeny, IA
    Thanks for your help. I've been away from the boards for a couple days. I have APC BN600 and didn't realize that some of the outlets are surge protection only. It is only 7 months old and I did connect the battery :)
    Power was only out for a few minutes until we could reset the breaker. I have an external esata hard drive and that was plugged into the surge protection only side. Now I have both on the battery back up side so hopefully that works. Thanks for helping a newbie!!