Power of 10 - 8/7/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mtnagel, Aug 7, 2007.

1. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH

Advertisements

I was suckered into watching based on the funny commercials. I don't know why I always try to watch game shows, but I just can't stand them (at least new ones). The dramatic pauses and excessive discussion is annoying. And the bouncing up and down of the percentage thing is extremely annoying. Just answer the question and reveal the answer. Anyway, I'd be curious to see the answers to the polls, but not curious enough to watch a whole show just to see a few polls.

2. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I typically hate the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire rip-offs, but I really enjoyed the show.

I do agree about the dramatic tension stuff, but for some reason this show it felt more genuine and less fabricated. I have always liked Drew Carey, and really liked him on this show. I thought him sharing what he thought people should do to be an interesting change.

I also liked how they were not ready for someone to even try for 10 million dollars.

I thought it was a bit of a risk, having a 19 year old as your first contestant, but I think it worked out for them. I thought the spinning might be annoying, but when that kid was going for the million I know I was on the edge of my seat.

I do wonder if the game is not too easy though. I did not track through the initial competition, but my guesses were all within range, and I could have won a million dollars. I suspect something might change to make it more difficult.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    haven't watched it yet, but I'll record it to my Toshiba (non-Tivo) player to watch at 1.5x with sound. It's great for game shows (except Jeopardy, since it's so jam packed it needs to be at regular speed).

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    The bouncing percentage meter thing was kind of annoying.
    I thought Drew Carey was very funny.
    I thought it was really cool that the very first contestant won $1M.
    Proud to know that a quarter of the people polled thought that Vin Diesel was responsible for diesel fuel, as opposed to Rudolf Diesel.
    And, I think you'd have to be absolutely insane to risk your $1M on a 1 in 11 chance that you can guess the exact percentage to win the $10M.

5. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming

Advertisements

Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel "engine" principle which relies on the fuel which can be any of a variety of combustible liquids to explode under pressure. Did you know that diesel engines have no spark plugs.

Somebody really goofed when they showed a quick prevue of tomorrows show before they asked the last elimination question. The black woman obviously won the elimination.

The game and Drew Carey are fun, but me and the producers are pretty certain that they won't be writing any ten million dollar checks.

6. mattpol

mattpol ILYA KOVALCHUK

Jul 23, 2003
    NEW YORK...
    I had no expections for this, and just had it on the background while I did other stuff, but Drew Carey was actually pretty good.

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    That's why I have Tivo. I watched it for the questions and answers and limited dialoue. Took 12 minutes to view the whole show.

8. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Me is pretty certain too. :D

9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    All of these "ladder" shows are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. This one could have used a second element, one that involves two decks of playing cards and the contestants deciding whether the next card in sequence will be higher or lower than the previous one.

However, I can see why they picked Drew to be the "Price Is Right" host -- and not solely because the first contestant mentioned it. :D