Power lost, recorder unplugged message--why?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVoEvan74, Apr 13, 2008.

1. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Our Toshiba TiVo failed to record 5 programs between 9 pm and 2 am this past Friday. The history message said something about power being lost or the recorder unplugged.

What is going on?

If household power had been lost, our clocks would have been off and they were precisely on the money.

The unit was not unplugged as TiVo recorded shows on Saturday.

2. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    BUMP!

Anyone have any idea what's going on? 9.3 glitch? Something else?

3. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    Is it via cable, satellite or OTA? If cable, was your cable system out during that time period?

4. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks for responding! It's via cable. I don't know if it was out. Is there a way of finding out? I would assume that a major outage would have been covered in the paper.

Is a power outage message what would happen in that case? Or would it a "loss of signal" type message--something I believe I've seen once or twice?

5. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    BUMP AGAIN!

It's happened again. This is frustrating. We've gotten hooked recently on Monk and Psych and it failed to record both yesterday, claiming, once again, that the TiVo was unplugged or that the power was lost. Neither was true!

Looking for any help from long-time users. It's a Toshiba RS-TX 60, one of those with a DVD burning unit.

Any ideas?

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Did you do a restart in between the two problems?

7. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Yes, indeed I did! And it recorded everything fine up until yesterday evening.

8. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    Have you revisited the Season Pass options for the shows you want to record? Have you selected options that have limitations, such as, keep at most "x" shows" or record only "repeats" instead of "new" or "new and repeats"? Is your season pass for these shows at the end of the list so they have low priority?

For example, if you have "keep at most" 3 shows and you have not deleted any that you previously recorded, TiVo will not record any additional shows.

9. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Alas, there's no Keep at Most issue with what's not being recorded. That would have been an easy solution.

Still, if that were the problem, I think I'd be getting a message to that effect in the Viewing History list. Instead I get the "unit unplugged or power lost" message, which isn't what's happening! :)

Oh, also, these Season Passes recorded fine previously--and recorded fine the next time (well at least they did before, this just happened). For some reason, TiVo thinks it's not getting a signal.

I'm just wondering if it's related to

a) the wireless network going off (9.2 produced reboots when that occurred) or

b) being in the middle of a transfer (2nd one) via MRV when it became time to record.

10. cliffr39

cliffr39 what???

Mar 23, 2008
    I wonder if it's a power supply issue?
    Cable outage isn't often in the newspaper, and when it was for me I got a signal error not your message.

11. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Good thought. The strange thing is that the problem occurs soon after the wireless router is turned off for the night. Not always, but often enough, and like clock work. That suggests it wouldn't be the power supply given we'd expect that to be erratic and not on schedule. I've now changed the time it goes off and will see if the problem time shifts!

12. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA

That's a good bet - I've seen strange things happen when TiVo is trying to connect to a network and can't. Also TiVo's error messages are often inappropriate or just plain incorrect when they state what the problem is.

Why do you turn your router off?

13. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Oh, I know this will sound silly to some or many, but it's to remove at least one of the sources of EM radiation that we're subjected to! And, yet, if we're really concerned, I should just hard wire everything and dispense with wireless entirely.

That's sort of where I'm heading, at least with the TiVos!

I'm going to end up with lots of extra TiVo gear... wireless adapters, universal Tivo remote, Radio Shack UFO wireless transmitter/receiver, and, perhaps even an Airport Express. I'll have to become an ebay seller! :)

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    MEGA BUMP!

This thread is so old it's irrelevant, so I could have started a new one. But heck, it's the same problem I'm having with my Bolt. Once a week or so, it decides that it doesn't have any power and it stops recording anything until I notice and reboot it. Recording History gives the "power lost" message as the explanation. I generally keep the Bolt in Low power savings mode, so it's semi-asleep but will still record Suggestions. But it's not just Suggestions that stop recording; it's everything. The front lights are off in power savings mode so it's hard to tell if this has occurred; with them on I'd expect to see the recording light occasionally and not seeing it would tip me off.

Anyway, rebooting only works for a short time. So the lower-fidelity fix appears to be just not to let the box go to sleep. I turned off power savings a week ago and it has been fine so far. But this stinks as a solution. My Bolt is still on TE3. I don't see any mentions of a TE 3 update that may have introduced this problem; any ideas of a root cause or something I could do?

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    TE3 has had ongoing issues with power-savings modes and at this time I wouldn't expect any fixes other than not using it.

Scott