Power Lost on ALL recordings TiVo Bolt 500GB

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Jackamus, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL

Advertisements

I have a TiVo Bolt 500GB and every single recording says POWER LOST and will not record. I have set the power save setting to low and now I have turned them off to see if this will help. Called TiVO tech support to a totally useless agent who didnt even ask what TiVo was having the problem. He says unplug it from your UPS and plug it in the wall that will solve the problem. Seriously?

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Hoyt Platter

Hoyt Platter New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Yeah...TiVo Customer Support agents are useless. I had to hang up on them. Wish I could help but am new to the TiVo community. Hopefully, someone here can help.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Obviously don't call TiVo. Every recording? Every day? Your disk is empty? When you turned on your TV was the TiVo output active? We could use a bit more detail. I've seen outlet strips with a "master" outlet but never a UPS.

Since I have a TiVo with scheduled recordings that I power off during the week, I'm pretty sure that message is accurate. If you are using a cable card, the menu Cable Card Status displays the time since restart.

cwerdna likes this.
  4. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I had the same problem with a Bolt 500GB using OTA. Lost a full night of recordings due to the "unable to record", "Loss of power" error.

I rebooted the TiVo and haven't seen the problem since.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Turn off Power Saving mode until they fix it. One of the updates this year caused issues with the Power savings mode. And results in that Power Lost issue for recordings. I had this happen on one my Bolts. Rebooted and then it was fine for awhile. Until it happened again. So I turned off the power savings on both of my Bolts recently, and since then I have not run into it.

Prior to that update I had zero issues in Power Saving mode. Running Bolts for over 2.5 years with Power Savings mode in the high setting.

DocNo, cwerdna and kpeters59 like this.
  6. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    The TiVo is brand new. Empty disk. I have since turned of Save power and now just leaving it on. So far, it looks like everything is properly recording. My UPS also brand new but my older TiVo worked fine. I guess I will have to forgo power saving until they fix the issue. However, TiVo is SLOW to even admit fault. I love TiVo, but the people who run it leave a lot to be desired.

7. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL

That's now what I am doing. Let's see how it goes.

8. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Happen to me again last night. So I turned off the power savings as suggested above.

Jackamus likes this.
  9. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I had the same problems on my 500GB Bolt, turning off power saving solved the problem. Received the 21.8.2 RC1 update this week so testing the low setting again and after 3 days all recordings were ok with no power lost notifications. My Bolt was connected to a UPS for 2 years prior with never a problem until the update caused it to suddenly occur. Fingers crossed that they fixed it with the new update this week.

10. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    I am curious, which interface are you using?

11. rjrsouthwest

Feb 19, 2016
    Hydra latest version 21.8.2 RC1, it was the prior version that started the power loss problem

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    They exist. Example is the APC BX1500G, which I have one of. See page 3 of http://www.apc.com/salestools/EALN-7SEGRP/EALN-7SEGRP_R8_EN.pdf.

For the record, I have no such problem on my Bolt+ but I've always had the power savings set to manual/disabled. I want the tuners to be buffering 24/7 and suggestions to be recorded, just like older TiVos.

13. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    OK, because I am using 20.7.4.RC42 - I can't stand the new interface. =(

worachj likes this.
  14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I also found the same bogus "Power Lost" red herring error. Prior to last week I had never seen it on any of my recordings, even though I've been on RC42 for a while and have standby on medium for years.

It happened 2 (recording) weeks in a row on the same exact shows.

8pm show didn't record at all (ie tivo didn't wake up to record)
    9pm show started recording 22 minutes into the show, for 2 weeks in a row

It almost seems like there was something about the 8pm show that triggered the bug not to wake up and it not only affected the 8pm show, but kept TiVo blocked from waking up until 22 minutes into the 9pm show.

By "wake up" I don't mean having the lights on, but wake up enough to record.

I know the "Power Lost" was a red herring because during the 2nd week I was in front of the TiVo when it didn't record. There was no power lost, nor was there a reboot. I have the onscreen clock enabled so even if my senses are failing me, there would be positive affirmation that there was a reboot or power lost.

Anyway, details of my experience are here:

2 weeks in a row same show doesn't record due to "Power Lost"

15. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    Well to "resolve" my issue I have disabled power saving and just leave it on all the time.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That is the only thing that solved the issue on my Bolts. I had tried one of the other power savings options with the same result.

But my Roamio still uses the High Power Savings mode. It has not run into the Power Lost issue the Bolts had.

17. rjrsouthwest

Feb 19, 2016
    After more than a week with the Hydra latest version 21.8.2 RC1 update the lost power problem when the Bolt is in standby has been fixed. Every scheduled recording while in standby has recorded with no problem. Whatever caused it in the prior update has been fixed.

aaronwt likes this.
  18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Had it happen on Roamio Pro on Medium just for 2 shows out of 30. Also have Roamio on Medium and it doesn't happen.

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I just had this happen to me on my Bolt with power savings mode set to Low. So apparently the latest update hasn't fixed anything. I hate the idea of not having my Bolt connected to a UPS or turning off power savings mode, but I want my shows to record.

20. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Suggestions are still recorded in some of the power saving modes.