Power Failure/TiVo Failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by csn1226, Jan 22, 2006.

1. csn1226

csn1226 New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    LA
    Last week, there was a power failure on my block. After the power came back on, my series 2 was fine but my older Tivo series 1, Philips model #HDR32104, isn't working at all. I've tried disconnecting the power for up to a minute, but still nothing. The green light on the front of the unit comes back on, but I get no response from the TiVo at all. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Power failures usually start or end with the power flickering. This can damage the hard drive, which is why I recommend that TiVos be put on a battery-backup power supply (UPS).

Do you get the initial "starting up" screen? If not, it isn't the disk drive. It could be that some other component on the board was fried. The green light coming on is goodness - does it briefly turn yellow after 30-60 seconds? Do you hear the disk spin up?

Do make sure that you are "watching" the correct video input.

3. csn1226

csn1226 New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    LA
    Thanks for the help. I don't get any start-up screen at all. The yellow light does not come on, nor does the disk spin up. I have the TiVo hooked up directly so it should be coming on to the main screen, not a video input.

4. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    "It's dead, Jim."
    "It's pinin' for the fjords."

In my opinion, it would cost more to try to fix this than it is worth. Say a word of appreciation for your S1's years of service and move on. Then go buy an UPS for your other TiVo before it too becomes a casualty.

5. csn1226

csn1226 New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    LA
    Well, that truly stinks. So much for paying for the lifetime service.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You could buy a replacement power supply from http://www.weaknees.com, provide you're handy around electronics.

7. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    If, and it isa BIG IF, you are very comfortable with electronics and are able to be very careful you might be able to fix your TiVo.

Many, if not most, TiVo power supplys have a fuse that is soldered in place on the board. The fust is covered by a rubber sleave and looks more like a resistor than a fuse until you cut the cover away.

If the fuse is blown it may be the only problem and all you need to do is replace it. You can get a pig-tailed fuse like the one in the TiVo at most electronic supply stores. But Radio Shack no longer carries that type of fuse and few people have the touch to solder wires to a standard fuse. You can get an inline fuse holder from RS and solder that in place and then use a standard fuse.

If it is the fuse and if that is all that is wrong follow the advice of the others and put your TiVo on a batery backup (UPS) to protect it in the future.

8. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Everyone is so quick to say - get a UPS !!!

I've never had a UPS for my computers, or any of my TiVos and I've never had any problems.

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Well, you've been lucky. csn1226's Tivo would most likely still be alive if it was powered by a UPS. AC power glitches are one of the leading causes of computer (and Tivo) failures. A UPS provides the best protection from the AC spikes and glitches that can damage their hard drives and power supplies. And, with good quality UPS's available for well under $50, they provide better protection than surge protectors for not much more money.

Another side benefit .... if you connect both your Tivo and video souce (satellite receiver or cable box) to the UPS, your Tivo can continue recording during a total power failure for nearly an hour (depending on the size of the UPS).

10. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I was a victim of the power failure=TiVo failure....fried my hdd...since that happened...I now have a UPS....I got my 900VA UPS for about $10 more than a good surge protector....well worth it IMHO.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    An UPS is just like insurance - if you never need to use it, it was a waist of money. But if you do need to use it, your damn glad you have it.

How much risk someone wants to take is a personal choice. I currently have 3 UPS in my house and have almost all my electronic equipment plugged into one of them. If someone else wants to run their stuff unprotected, I am sure the electronics companies think its a great idea ;)

Thanks,

atmuscarella

12. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Like I said before I've never had any troubles with any electronic equipment in my house and I've never had a UPS. I've lived at my current residence for 10 years now. ;)

If someone else wants to think they have to have a UPS I am sure the companies that make the UPS think it's a great idea. ;)

Every piece of electronic equipment with a UL label on it had to be designed to withstand power glitches to get UL approval.
    ;)

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Stanley,

I agree UPS are optional and I am glad you haven't gotten hit.

In the last 6 months my sister lost a TV, one of my home UPS got hit so bad through the phone line it burned out the phone connection on the UPS (saved my TiVo and main phone!) and at work we had a transformer blow that took out several computers, printers, and UPS (my PC was fine the UPS its plugged into didn't make it).

For me having the battery backups helps to justify the costs even if I don't get hit I do have power outages.

Hope your luck holds!

atmuscarella

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    UL approval only ensures the appliance is safe WRT fire and electrocution hazards, not that it will be particularly resilient aganst power anomolies, especially being the anomolies that usually affect a TiVo affect the HDD.

A $50 UPS is damn cheap insurance for at least hours of TV, and at most a Liifetime sub.

15. csn1226

csn1226 New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    LA
    Yeah sure. I sell it on Ebay because I can't fix it, and someone gets to use my lifetime membership, for 20 bucks on an online auction site, because they can. Well, I'll only sell it for $299 or toss it in the trash. It just ain't right.

Although I do sincerely appreciate the help and responses, very much. Thanks for all the possible solutions.

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Ah, you have lifetime. That changes the situation somewhat. It may be worthwhile replacing the power supply. $49 from Weaknees.com.

17. csn1226

csn1226 New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    LA
    Thanks Steve, I'll see if I can figure it out. I can work plumbing pretty well, but electronics can get me.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There are good instructions at the bottom of the web page at Weaknees. It's mostly a matter of removing the fasteners that hold it in place.

19. Brock from WI

Brock from WI New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Green Bay, WI
    Can't you send the whole unit in to Weaknees as well? A bit more $ but to get it working again, what the heck.

20. csn1226

csn1226 New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    LA
    How about this?! I was installing new switches in my bedroom (repainted the walls and was updating the flip switches) and had to shut off the power at the breaker. I finished the work, turned the power back on and, paying no attention to my "dead" TiVo (which I had bypassed to use the cable remote) to which I had left the power connected.
    Lo and behld, the next night, I caught my TiVo RECORDING out of the corner of my eye! I reconnected it to the TV and there it was! It is now fine, as if nothing ever happened in the first place. It hadn't recorded anything in the 11 days it was on the blink and it wanted to make the daily call immediately. I just gave it a little kiss and welcomed it home. I have no idea what happened but am curious as to what screwed it up in the first place. I'm just glad I didn't disect it for parts.

Too bizarre.