Potential Tivo newbie on Atlantic BB

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by opsman, Sep 22, 2018.

1. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018

Advertisements

Hi all,

This isnt another cablecard going away question, more of an Atlantic BB one.

After learning that Atlantic BB is offering TIVO powered boxes in my market (NH) it got my attention. Until just several months ago, it was Metrocast but they were bought out by Atlantic.

Ive been using the cable co DVR since they launched them many years ago and never really looked into TIVO. The pricing kept increasing for the DVR and is now at 17.95/month.

As an existing customer, I cant get any decent deals to bundle in and Atlantic wants 35/month for the TIVO box (pretty sure its an Arris box). After looking into the Bolt Vox, its a non brainer to buy the Bolt and save $$.

THEN I start reading about IPTV and the possibility of QAM and cablecards going away.

Does anyone have any idea on Atlantic's plans to go IPTV and get rid of cablecards? I have a 1TB Bolt Vox arriving today from Best Buy and already picked up a cablecard from Atlantic so I am ready to activate it.

Should I go forward with the Bolt or try and push Atlantic to give me a deal on their TIVO powered box?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There is no way to know for sure exactly when IPTV will become the dominant method used by any particular ISP, the most likely trend will be from one of the larger ones and then it will penetrate into the smaller ISP's but the timetable is pure guess work. For example, Verizon Fios had started doing trials of IPTV some time ago and then suddenly, they completely terminated the program with very little announcement or discussion, but when it was started a lot of folks were saying the cable card is dead and buried, period.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  4. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Yeah, it seems the cablecard discussions I was seeing here were a year or two old and havnt seen a lot lately. That was the reason I went ahead and ordered the Bolt during the sale this week. Also with the new season ramping up next week its time to crap or get off the pot.

5. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018

Advertisements

Thanks for the link. No time to dive into another forum right now but maybe some reading later tonight.

6. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Another quick question. As the Bolt is coming today and Best Buys gives 14 day returns, if I sign up for a year TIVO service, is there a time period that I can cancel for a refund should I decide to do so? Its unlikely but I dont want to be caught and out 150.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo has a 30-day money back guarantee, including for new service plans.

See: https://www.tivo.com/buytivo/popups/windowpopup-30daymoneybackguarantee_ajax.html

Also, Best Buy’s return window can be longer, 30 or 45 days, if you’re a member of their rewards program at Elite or Elite Plus status, respectively. (And their holiday return window is crazy long, though moot for a BOLT arriving today.)

See: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-t...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

opsman likes this.
  8. heyted

heyted Member

Mar 4, 2012
    South Florida
    opsman likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If trying to decide between a retail or provider-supplied TiVo, points of comparison include:
    • cost: determine break-even point between cost of leasing DVR unit from provider and purchase+service costs for retail unit — optionally including resale value of retail unit, or repair/replacement costs;
    • functionality: consider whether the provider and retail boxes are functionally equivalent (drive capacity, # of tuners) and your level of acceptance;
    • whole home: availability and associated cost of expanding viewing to additional TV locations via TiVo Mini clients, where leased clients would be required to pair with a leased DVR, and retail with retail;
    • on-demand: access to provider on-demand library may be limited to leased boxes, if available at all;
    • streaming: streaming apps for Netflix, Hulu, etc. that are available on retail boxes may be restricted on leased boxes;

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Bigg and opsman like this.
  10. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    What's the track record of TIVO holiday sales? If worth it, I wouldnt have a problem waiting a month or so, especially if there are better deals on "all in" service.

My provider uses a 6 tuner Arris box that is (I think) 1TB. Dpesnt sound too bad if a 1tb hd but at 35 bucks a month, they can keep it.

11. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Bolt arrived yesterday and still in its box.

Since I dont use 4K, I am now thinking about a Roamio with all in service to save some $$ on what appears to be a more reliable unit than Bolt.

I use a Roku for streaming so not worried about that and currently use only 1 TV for DVR. Even if I upgrade the TV, it will upconvert to 4K and a 4K Roku wont be much $$ at that point either

How well does the Voice option of VOX work as that is a great feature to consider. Ive used in on a friends Comcast system-its pretty slick

Bigg likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Just keep in mind that the Roamio OTA and Roamio OTA VOX lack CableCARD support out-of-the-box; however, many people have successfully modded their OTA-only boxes to support CableCARD by simply acquiring and installing the absent CableCARD bracket. (Yes, that’s all it takes.)

See >this thread<.

p.s. The other main difference between these Roamio OTA units and a BOLT is that they don’t support mobile streaming, at least not without the addition of a separate, no longer produced, and questionably-supported TiVo Stream device or module (as included in the Roamio Plus and Pro models).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Found an OEM cablecard bracket from a Roamio HD pull. This will fit the Roamio 1tb OTA Vox, correct?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yup, unless TiVo has started doing something different with the Roamio OTA VOX, like soldering a metal plate over the open CableCARD bracket socket.

15. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    That would just suck

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They went through the effort to remove the MoCA components. It wouldn't be hard to imagine them not mounting the MB female connector. :mad:

krkaufman likes this.
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I think Roamio OTA[CC] users are safe, since I don’t see TiVo having the spare $$ to spend on such an effort targeting such a small subset of boxes — and with manufacturing shut down.

As you suggest, I *do* expect that we’ll find that the BOLT OTA is more than just a missing CableCARD bracket away from digital cable capabilities. Since they spent the time to remove MoCA for just $5/box savings, then I’d expect they’d have similarly removed circuitry required only for cable tuning — or would simply have done something to the circuitry to prevent what’s occurred with the Roamio OTA line. Somebody is sure to do a side-by-side comparison of the circuit boards in the near-term.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    HerronScott likes this.
  18. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Thats what I am banking on. Best Buy still has Roamio OTA available

Reading the thread on the new Bolt OTA over the last few days, it does sound like they might have disabled something else. It would be interesting to find out as around 500 for all in and cable access plus 4K (future proof as I am still on a 1080 Kuro that wont last forever) isnt a bad option.

19. opsman

opsman Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Well, the trial begins as I have installed a bracket and paired the cablecard on a Roamio.

1st question is in regard to signal strength. I currently put in a splitter so that I an use both the Roamio and the cable DVR (I have recordings there to watch and I cant get them off of the hard drive-at least that I am aware of). This makes 5 devices on a single feed from the pole.

When testing signal, it started at 22, then changes to between 80 and 87 and stating that it has acquired digital signal, then it changes to 90 and stays there.

Does this sound right?

I have read that a Bolt circuitry will keep the signal at 72. Is that true and if so does the Roamio not do this?

Also, is this a signal of 22, 87 or 90 and if 87-90 is that too strong?

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Bolt OTA = 72%. Bolt cable = 90%. Basic /OTA Roamio is the same. A SNR of 36% is nice. Close is good enough.

Things can change. Those numbers are just considered "standard" from experience. TiVo can change their display for any reason.

Best test: picture is good, stable and you like it. For the numbers after they have become stable, use Help/Account & System Info/Diagnostics.

opsman and krkaufman like this.