Potential new hardware question.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by suzannesstud, May 23, 2019.

1. suzannesstud

suzannesstud Member

Sep 11, 2016

Advertisements

Will TiVo ever make another new unit that will support both antenna and cable, at the same time, like the Premier does?

I have never upgraded my Premier specifically for this reason because I have full cable and all my local antenna channels integrated all at the same time plus I can tune to any of them at any time without issue and without switching cables back and forth.

I love how the newer units have more tuners, more space, and do 4K, but it seems the integration of antenna and cable was done away with on these boxes. You either have to have a cable only model, OTA only, or switch between cable and antenna on the newer ones that support both because there is only one connection instead of both.

With cord cutting going on and companies doing “skinny bundles”, I would think having both at the same time would be a standard feature especially since cable generally doesn’t carry but a very few subchannels. They expect you will get those with an antenna instead as there are quite a few out there.

Also, will TiVo be making any more new units of any kind, in general, beyond the current models, if not any new ones with antenna and cable integrated like described above?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That's the big question.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I agree with the previous post. My small cable company supplies 400+ channels. I pay for about 200. I watch maybe 20 to 40. With cable it's usually whole numbers, so I'm unclear what you call "sub-channels". I have a two-tuner Premiere configured for OTA and cable and several basic Roamio units.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I doubt it. It would be expensive to have a unit with enough tuners to support 4-6 OTA and cable channels. Plus with CableCARD eventually going away they don’t really have incentive to work on any new cable based hardware.

5. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018

Advertisements

Maybe TiVo will be forced to support both cable and OTA on the same box if they ever come out with an external ATSC 3.0 tuner?

TiVo ATSC 3.0

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. ATSC 3.0 tuners could be so expensive, and exclusive, they might not even make it either/or like the current OTA units. It might be ATSC 3.0 only.

7. eman926

eman926 Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I have a station here in Rochester, MN called KXLT on channel 47-1 which is a Fox affiliate. (-1) channels are considered primary channels. It also has FOUR SUBCHANNELS. 47-2 (MeTV), 47-3 (Laff), 47-4 (Escape), and 47-5 (Quest). Most OTA DVRs use dashes (-) to go to the subchannels. But on some of the Channel Master DVRs and directly to many TVs main tuners they use dots or 'also' called points (.). So those same channels could be 47.1, 47.2, 47.3, 47.4 and 47.5.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Oh dear. The post I quoted was for cable companies. While I do receive two channels on my cable feed with a decimal point, they are clear QAM and carry the local message channel. Before encryption all my cable channels had one to four decimal points. Access via a "." or a "-" is just how they built or labeled the remote. It will vary by the source. See the Wiki page, which uses decimal points. KXLT-TV - Wikipedia.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Every cable system I’ve seen locally or when at a hotel has carried all the sub channels of the local channels they carry.

10. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Cable systems generally carry sub-channels, as well as alternate locals from much farther away than you could get with an antenna, so as cool of a feature as it is, probably not.

11. Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    That is a rarity. I've dealt with 3 cable companies in the last 2 years (Comcast, Mediacom and Consolidated) and none carry all the subchannels. Especially when they are low powered stations in markets that arent even carried. Now if you are just including the full powered stations the 3 examples I gave still dont. Comcast didnt carry the Ion subs (Qubo and Ion Life), Mediacom is missing Quest and TBD and Consolidated is unique as the market (Mankato, MN) is just a 1 station market (KEYC CBS & FOX) so the imported stations they carry some subs are carried but most arent

tim1724 likes this.
  12. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    The bolded part depends HEAVILY on the market. Most local areas its just the locals assigned to the DMA. When you get to the fringes then there are imported signals but they are the exception, not the norm.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    As others have already mentioned, VERY unlikely this will happen. But, you could always do what I & others have done, & simply get another Tivo & dedicate each one to either cable or OTA. Of course, from a price standpoint, it makes much more sense to do lifetime on (both) Tivo's, so that you're NOT paying for service on 2 units...which I am NOT & NEVER would!
    Yea, while you have to switch between both units, you actually have more versatility with the separate units, since you would then have 4 tuners dedicated ONLY to OTA, while you have 4-6 tuners dedicated to cable. Not only do you now have MORE tuners to play with, but you also get more recording time combined.
    If you can network both Tivo's via ethernet, you can still share recordings between both units, even though they use different signal sources. (you can't network via MOCA, as cable/OTA signals do overlap some) But you would still have to switch between units, in order to use the guide & program recordings...again, NOT a big deal to many people around here.
    I actually have 3 Tivo's networked like this - a 6-tuner Roamio & (2) 4-tuner Roamio's, each on a different OTA antenna that pick up 2 different DMA's...all on lifetime, of course.

If your TV has another HDMI input, you simply switch inputs on the TV between Tivo's - what's the big deal?
    Since you obviously have a Premier that works on OTA, (hopefully you put lifetime on it a LONG time ago...) you could easily dedicate it to OTA, then get either a new 4 or 6 tuner cable Tivo & dedicate it to cable. Now you have even more versatility than you did before.

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Like you said, it depends on the market, but it's not an exception. Here in CT, everywhere I've ever looked has at least partial locals from either NYC, Providence-New Bedford (plus WGBH Boston), or Springfield. A lot of parts of NJ have Philly and NYC, etc.

15. Mr Tony

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    I stand by my statement that its an exception and not the normal. Most areas of the market only get their own locals and nothing extra unless its on the fringe of the market or in some cases a "orphan" county where its market is an out of state DMA. In some cases cable companies are dropping the duplicate networks.

16. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    The densely populated "megalopolis" stretching from DC to Boston is different from anywhere else in the US as it's just one metro area after another. So it doesn't surprise me that you have locals from other TV markets showing up in your cable systems but I don't *think* that's common outside of that part of the country.

tim1724, Bigg and unclehonkey like this.
  17. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There is selective spillover elsewhere, whether it's a channel or two here or there, or an almost full set of locals, but yes it is more prevalent in the Northeast. That being said, the Northeast Megaregion alone is enough to make it not an exception or something really weird.

18. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, that region accounts for about 17% of the total US population based on 2010 census numbers. Nothing to sneeze at! But, especially to us folks in "the rest of the US," it's only one slice of the American pie.

unclehonkey and tim1724 like this.
  19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Absolutely, but I'm positive there are parts of other markets outside the NEC and adjacent markets that have significantly viewed locals from other markets. It may not be as common, but it's out there. There's a lot of places between two cities where people would want the locals from the city that's not in their DMA.