Possibly Power Supply Dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by vpwsys, Sep 4, 2007.

1. vpwsys

vpwsys New Member

May 25, 2002
    Hi Folks,

I feel somewhat guilty just dropping in and posting again as I rarely post - but that's really because I've rarely got any reason to need to post given Tivo just sits in the corner. First off, yes, in relation to the current threads, Sky+ is awful by comparison, having recently experienced it's "joy" I go mad everytime I'm forced to use it on a SkyHD box. I'd practically pay any amount of money for Tivo to come back here and do a HD capable tivo rather than live with Sky's awful interface.

Anyhow, back to my reason for posting - my Tivo has sadly been off for 3-4 monhs due to moving house (and having no house to move into) - when it came back on, all was well apart from it grumbling that the programme data was missing (fair enough then, it certainly hadn't found a telephone socket in 3-4 months!)....

...but 2 nights ago our power tripped out when an extractor fan decided to blow out (which is on the same ring as Tivo etc) - since then, my Tivo has a random reboot issue - it'll just spontaneously reboot without warning at seemingly randomised times.

My hunch would be that the Power Supply's been damaged in the event - but would the wiser and more experienced tivo'ers around agree? If so, where can I locate a Power Supply these days and can I self-install?

(If not, any other thoughts - I don't want to have to live with Sky+'s awful rubbish, my list of moans about it is possibly longer than storage on Tivo... (I would say Sky+ but that's not hard now is it))

If so, while I'm at it, could I get a cachecard installed, or would I be better to send it to someone to do (I haven't the time or wish to risk my trusty tivo if it involves removing the hard discs (it's already modded with 2 drives) and changing software... Oh yeah and coming back here reminded me to investigate getting Mode - recording too...

TIA for replies/help - and long live Tivo :)

2. threadkiller

threadkiller Dark side Nrth Devon

Dec 12, 2002
    It could be a power issue, or it could be hard disk. people with more knowledge than me will be along shortly I'm sure. As to spares, they can be got & fitted quite easily, from one of the several posters on this site.

In fact one unseeing citrus fruit supplied me with a hard drive only recently, and the service was excellent

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    unseeing citrus fruit? :confused:;):D

Yes, it sounds like a possible PSU issue. A dodgy drive would normally give you some pixellation, stuttering, freezes etc., whereas a flaky PSU can go out of tolerance from time to time leading to seemingly random reboots.

4. vpwsys

vpwsys New Member

May 25, 2002
    Right sod it then - one new PSU and a Cachecard at the same time then it is :) I hate not having Tivo...

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    You have to dally with getting your hard drive out of the Tivo and connecting it to a PC though. www.tivoheaven.co.uk can sell you a new larger pre-prepared drive with all the drivers for a Cachecard already on it but this will set you back quite a bit.

You might want to look at the guide at www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo and see if you think you could follow that stuff yourself.

I expect blindlemon will even let you send him your Tivo and do it all for you but then it will really, really cost you........

All depends how much money and how much free time you have. Tivoheaven stuff undoubtedly works and if you have the money and are short of the time to fiddle with your Tivo it may be the way to go.

6. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    PSU's are somewhat cheaper at Tivoland than Tivoheaven and, usually, even cheaper on eBay.

7. vpwsys

vpwsys New Member

May 25, 2002
    Thanks all for suggestions/pointers... we'll see how it goes tomorrow :)