Possible to stream to series 2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jangelj, May 31, 2009.

1. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002

Advertisements

I tried streambaby (great app BTW if you have a series 3), but get an error (because I am trying to run it on a series 2 Toshiba RSTX20). I'm pretty sure pyTivo does not work on a series 2, either.

Is there any way possible to stream videos (avi, divx, etc) to my series 2 Toshiba RSTX20 a la Streambaby?

I searched around a bit, but all the definitive answers I found were from 2006, so I was hoping that there was a way to do it now (unless it is just not possible).

Thanks,
    John

2. Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    pyTivo definitely works on regular Series 2 machines.

I don't know what the Toshiba is, but if it has the ability to do MRV and other such home things (you need to pay tivo for service for said features) then it can probably use pyTivo.

regular streaming to series 2 machines is not doable.

3. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    what do you mean by "regular streaming"?
    Thanks for the reply so quickly. I'll give pytivo a try.
    john

4. Yoav

Yoav New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I mean 'streaming' in the sense of 'netflix' or streambaby or VLC/streamer, etc. You need a Tivo HD or a Series 3 for that.

(some people refer to pytivo as streaming since you can start watching before it's fully downloaded.... so I used 'regular' as a distinction.. sorry for confusing you).

5. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002

Advertisements

makes sense. I just installed pytivo and realized what you meant. But you posted back before I got a chance. :)

I see what you mean, pytivo will reencode a video (i.e. avi) to a tivo-friendly fomat (mpeg 2) and transfer on the fly. But it is not a true streamer (a la streambaby).

Now I will explore pytivo's features and see what else it can do.

Thanks!
    JOhn