Possible To Run TW HD DVR and TiVo S2 on Same HD TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joey Bagadonuts, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Joey Bagadonuts

Joey Bagadonuts New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    So here's the skinny: I recently purchased a 50" Panasonic HDTV. I didn't want to chance experiencing the nightmare of having cable cards installed in an S3 (and I decided to wait until MRV and TTG are offered) so I opted to go with a Time Warner HD DVR. Thing is, I am really missing some of the extras my Tivo S2 offers that my new TW DVR doesn't (MRV, Streaming KKJZ via Live365, and using MoodLogic to play music files from a PC elsewhere in my home through my living room stereo). My question is, is it possible to have the best of both worlds? Meaning, can I somehow have the TW HD DVR and my S2 wired to the same HDTV? I know I won't get HD viewing through my S2 but I don't care. I can use the TW DVR for that, no?

If this is possible, can someone suggest how i would go about wiring this configuration? I imagine I'd have to use a splitter at some point, I just don't know where or what to do from that point on.

Thanks.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    My guess would be to split the input coax to the TiVo and the Cableco DVR and then use two different inputs on the HDTV.

You'll lose any digital or scrambled analog channels on the input to the TiVo, but I think this is the easiest implementation with the fewest weird side effects.

3. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yeah, that's how I went when I got my HDTV until the S3 came out.

Joey, you should look at the actual poll numbers over in the S3 forum. Most of us didn't have any problems with our cablecard installs. :D

4. Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Thanks Hokies and Henry. I'll give that configuration a shot when I get home from work.

Hokies, it's the "Official Time Warner Cable" thread that scared me off from going with an S3 right now. There are hundreds of horror stories from S3 owners outlining their disastrous experiences with Time Warner and trying to get cable cards installed correctly. Also, there's now a post saying Time Warner in the L.A. area has run out of cards and won't have any in until September. Ouch. And the price of the S3 has to be a little lower before I can afford one and the lack of my 2 favorite Tivo features, MRV and TTG made my decision to go with a TWC HD DVR for now a little easier to make. :D As soon as TWC gets their act together in my area with regard to the CableCard installs and once the price of the S3 comes down a little bit more, I'll be changing back to HD TiVo.

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    S3 Tivos have dropped a bit since the introduction of the Tivo HD, although nothing officially at this point. I see new ones on ebay going for $550 or less. The issues with the S3 and cablecards are more likely due to inexperienced installers or a bad batch of cablecards than anything else. My S3 install with FIOS went fairly smooth even though the installer had only done one S3 prior to mine.

6. Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Thanks for replying, Capt Vid. I've actually seen S3's going for $299ish but I got the impression they were a lite version of the true S3. I never really understood the difference between the two different models. With regard to the cablecard installs; you're right, the problem seems to be on the part of the cable companies and their lack of knowledge. However, there's also been speculation that they (cable companies), specifically TW, may be purposely botching the installs as a way to try and coerce customers to avoid the cablecard/S3 hassles and go with a TW DVR instead.

7. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Hi Joey,

I've had my DT connected to my HDTV for a coupla weeks, the "regular" way.

This weekend I bought an HDMI cable and connected it SA8300HD<->HDTV without disconnecting the component.

I was able to record FOUR different shows at the same time.

The volume on the HDMI / SA was very low, fwiw. But the picture was awsome.

8. Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Thanks for the info megory. I'll give that a shot as well and see what happens.

Thanks again.

JB