Possible to replace Premiere hard-drive with Roamio hard-drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rogmatic, Feb 8, 2016.

1. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my Roamio hard drive is failing and I need to replace it - but I would like like to salvage the recordings on it if I can. I know I can transfer the shows to my Premiere XL4, but would it be possible to just take the harddrive out of the Roamio and plop it straight into the Premiere? Would it work or would it need to be reformatted or something.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It would erase everything once you installed it.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Wouldn't work. Copy the programs off the Roamio drive asap. Replace the Roamio drive, then copy shows back if you wish.

4. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks, guys. I knew it couldn't be that easy...

5. JPA2825

JPA2825 Member

May 15, 2000
    Ft. Thomas,...

Advertisements

Separate reason for asking the same Q. I have the original HDD from my Roamio Pro (replaced with larger when I first got it). I now also have a Premiere with Lifetime that appears to have a bad HDD (or power source). Can I drop the original Roamio HDD into the Premiere and plug & play? I don't care if it is reformatted and has no content. Just wondered if I could start over with a working Lifetime on the Premiere.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Just the Roamios and Bolts can automatically format the drives. (except drives larger than 3 TB require additional steps to use their full capacity.)

Premiere and older drives need additional work done before they can be installed, or a pre-formatted drive can be bought from ebay or weaknees.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    In particular, on all TiVo's prior to the Roamio, the system software is on the hard drive. So it isn't just a matter of running the right "formatting" tool. As mentioned one can get a hard drive properly formatted and with the appropriate software loaded on it from third parties such as Weaknees.

On the Roamio forward, the system software is in flash memory, so one can drop in a blank drive, and the TiVo can format it the way it wants.

Also, the video content is encrypted with a unique box-specific key, so you cannot just move the drive to another TiVo of the same model.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    What model number is the Premiere, and do you have another drive at least as big as the original one but not over 2TB that you can use? To use the 3TB drive from your Pro we need to get a working drive back in the Premiere and let the OS update to at least 20.3.8 before copying it to the final drive with MFS Tools 3.2. Most of my DvrBARS images are from factory drives running 14.5, so a two-stage process is required to break the 2TB limit.