Possible to operate a TiVo Box in Switzerland?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rilope, Sep 28, 2011.

1. rilope

rilope New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    hi all, i wondered if there is any workaround to operate a tivo box in switzerland. i have a cable connection with a local cable operator (upc cablecom). will some of the functionalities work if i connect the box here? many thanks for your advice

ricky

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    TiVo's databases are for only certain areas of the planet.

If TiVo doesn't sell recorders meant for your part of the world and there's no TiVo database for what TV channels can be viewed in your area, then you can't use TiVo where you are.*

If you have a TiVo in the States (or somewhere else where TiVos can be used) and want to operate it remotely from Switzerland (your question was a little unclear) and then watch your recordings made in the States while you're still in Switzerland, there are ways to do that by way of the internet, but others would have to fill you in on how.

*There have been cases of people who were very dedicated and very good with computers and possibly writing code who've been able to make TiVos work in areas the TiVo company didn't provide service to. For the average person, tho', unless TiVo intends its recorders to be used where you live, you can't use a TiVo there.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It depends on what you mean by "operate".

Do American television sets work there?

4. rilope

rilope New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    hi unitron. yes, PAL and NTSC do both work here. By operate i mean is it possible to watch linear tv if i connect the box to my cable-TV wall socket and if not, what other TiVo functionalities would work?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    For an American TiVo, nothing. Its tuner is NTSC, and your signal, if analog, will be PAL. If digital, it will be DVB-C for cable, or DVB-T (or DVB-T2) for antenna, none of which are compatible with an American TiVo. You would first need to get a cable box that can be set to NTSC out. If you get that far, you will only have manual timers (subscription required), and at that point, you are likely as well off with a domestically available video recorder, or the DVR for your provider.

You can get around some of that, with an old Thomson UK TiVo, or an American Series 1 TiVo modded to use PAL.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    He can probably pick up a UK S1, maybe even lifetimed fairly cheap since TiVo orphaned the UK S1s as, many suspect, part of their deal with Virgin cable to supply them with an S4 platform box.

7. rilope

rilope New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback!