1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Tivo Broke HDMI input

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dbtom, Jul 5, 2018.

1. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    Hi All,

I have 3 Tivos in my house (Bolt, Roamio, Premiere). I went away on vacation last week and when I came back the two upstairs Tivos (Roamio, Premieire) were just showing blank screens. I was able to stream from both Tivos to the Bolt so I know they are functioning correcting. After troubleshooting for a long time, I figured out that the Premier would work if I used another HDMI input. The Roamio doesn't seem to output over another HDMI port.

Is it possible that the Tivos somehow blew out my TV HDMI ports? It's an awful coincidence that this happened at the same time. There were a number of power outages in my area due to the heat so I'm thinking maybe there was some kind of surge. The Tivos are on surge protectors that were not tripped.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I'm trying to figure out what happened because if it is some kind of flaw with the Tivos I don't want to ruin all my limited HDMI ports.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It happens. I have mine on a UPS and haven't issues with them.
    Surge protectors do not protect as much as a good UPS does.

Once, I had our power spike for a long period of time (Voltage over 135) on the neighborhood power lines. The UPS was beeping the whole time. Called the power company and the power went out for about 6 hrs, after some of their transformer work and came back on, everything was fine.

3. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    It seems unlikely that a surge would go through your TiVos and fry the HDMI ports on your TV without harming the TiVos in any way. Perhaps the surge came in through your TV (is it hooked up to any surge protection?)

And I'll second ThAbtO's recommendation for a UPS on your TiVos. Not only do they do a better job against power events than a standard issue surge protector, but are also great for when there is a short-term power event so that your TiVo doesn't have to restart. The UPS on my entertainment system will run my Roamio for about 45 min, so in the event of a power outage it will often be able to complete recording the current show(s). (We've had three extended power outages since early April...)

4. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    So the weird thing is on my Roamio the hdmi port is fried and the tv is fine. On my premier the tv hdmi port is fine and the Tivo hdmi port is fried. I’ll look into a UPS but its a little late now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk