Possible IR problem

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jeshaffer, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jeshaffer

jeshaffer New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    I have a very strange phenomenon. I got home today and neither of my Tivo remotes work. I have a SIR 4120T on code 1 and a HR10-250 on code 2.

The remotes both work from 12-18 inches away from both receivers but no further. I have replaced the batteries. It is almost like there is some kind of interference jamming the remotes, but the TV portion of the remote works fine.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be dealing with here?

2. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    I have had that happen before and a reboot cleared it right up.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Check that you don't have another remote control stuck in a sofa cushion somewhere. Seriously. It happens more than you might think.

Other sources of stray IR interference include flourescent lights. Your digital camera sensors can "see" IR light, so try scanning the room while watching the display on your camera or camcorder and you might be able to spot the source of interference.

4. jeshaffer

jeshaffer New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    I have rebooted both and same thing. I even did a complete reset on the HR10-250 as I use it almost exclusively for HD sporting events, and it is still clearing itself.

The Samsung unit was flawless up until this happened. I also went and got the universal I have and tried it. It also will not work outside of 18 inches.

5. jeshaffer

jeshaffer New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    I am not sure how your day has been so far, but I hope it rocks for the remainder.

You are a genius. My daughters NickJr magazine was laying on top of the remote for my Sony Surround receiver. The camera on night mode was pretty freaking cool.

Thanks so much for letting me know there were no aliens here. When i went after the digital cam, the batteries in it were dead too. I was beginning to wonder.