Possible for remote Tivo S3 to download from media server over Internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by wazooda, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1 of 10
    wazooda

wazooda New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    I use my Series 3 to view home video stored on a media server on my home LAN.

My mom also has a Tivo S3 and would like to have access to my media library.

Is this possible? I use PyTivo for viewing on my own LAN, but don't know if it is possible for her to tap into PyTivo running on my LAN.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Feb 1, 2011 #2 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Sure. You just have to use the "Manually add a server" function on her TiVo to enter your IP. But before that, you need to forward port 80 on your router to port 9032 on the pyTivo server; or, you may need to actually run pyTivo on port 80 and pass that through directly from the router.

You can also set up pyTivo to Push to her, but that's a little more complicated.

Note: I haven't actually tried this; it's only theoretical.

3. Feb 1, 2011 #3 of 10
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They also need to be on the same tivo.com account with the same Media Access Key.

4. Feb 1, 2011 #4 of 10
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Your also need to know your external IP address as provided by your ISP. And be aware that for most people, unless you purchase a static IP, this can (and does) change often.

5. Feb 1, 2011 #5 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Not for pyTivo, they don't.

6. Feb 1, 2011 #6 of 10
    wazooda

wazooda New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Thanks for the info.

So.... first problem I ran across was that my router does not allow me to remap ports. I can, of course, punch a hole for a particular port and have it forward to an IP on my LAN, but nothing that I can see that will take port 80 and redirect to port 9032.

So I edited my PyTivo config so port=80. I then manually added my external IP address to the Tivo under "Manually add a server". However, when I try to connect to the newly added server, I get an error saying that the server was not found. Interestingly, when I refreshed the Tivo screen, the manually entered IP number was replaced by the actually name of my PC running PyTivo (in this case, it is called "htpc"). Still however, when I clicked on it, Tivo gave me the No Server Found error again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

7. jmez

jmez New Member

May 12, 2009
    I get the same problem. I manually add the server, See that pytivo is returning a 200:

INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.6 [25/Jul/2011 19:54:54] "GET /TiVoConnectCommand=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -

Interesting too that this happens regardless of manually adding the server on my local network or over the internet. I guess the tivo is wanting a manually added server to have something different in the response?

I'm going to bust out wireshark and the tivo desktop software to see what happens. I'll report back shortly.

8. jmez

jmez New Member

May 12, 2009
    Interesting... I get the same error trying to manually add the local IP of the machine running tivo desktop.

Well, i'm in over my head again! I've got pushing working over the internet, so that's good enough to send the home movies to the mother in law. That's all i really wanted anyways.

It'd be nice to figure out if pytivo over the internet works, and the steps to make that happen, but i guess not too many people are interested in this.

9. gtaylor

gtaylor Member

Jan 8, 2002
    California
    I missed this thread the first time around, but since it's back, a question occurs to me.

Would that remote S3 require a subscription?

gary

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, it would not work without a subscription.