Possible bug in TIVO Software - "unexpected conflict"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by abbydancer, Jan 10, 2006.

1. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Hello,

Anyone seen this recently? (I saw a thread on this, but it's a year old and there wasn't a resolution mentioned).

I set a one time recording on my Series 2 to record the US Figure Skating Championships Ladies Long Program to record this coming Saturday at 5pm. At the time I set it, the TIVO was going through the IR Blaster to the cable box.

Last week, I changed the cable box to a DVR and gave the TIVO a direct cable connection. (It only records non-digital channels, but that's OK). After that, the Figure Skating program was removed from the To-do list. The recording history said it was not being recorded due to an unexpected conflict with another program. (Ebert and Roeper is in that same slot). From the recording history, I said to record the skating anyway. Next check of to-do list, it was back to being recorded. I checked again the next day, and Ebert and Roeper was back. I redid the whole process. Same thing the next day.

I have now requested that the skating event record 3 times. This last time, I also manually canceled the episode of Ebert and Roeper.

Is this a known bug with TIVO software? Is there a way to ensure that I get the skating? I won't be home at 5pm on Saturday to confirm that the correct channel is being recorded. I have been trying to contact TIVO via their website, but I can't get to the support pages. (takes forever - literally - to load).

Any suggestions or better knowledge than I have?

thanks,
    abby

2. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    Do you have a season pass for Ebert and Poeper? Or, even a auto-record wish list for that program? I have some wishlist programs that appear on the to-do list, I cancel them, then they appear again after the daily phone call.

3. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Ebert and Roeper is a regular season pass. However I have lots of season passes that don't get recording when I specify a one time recording for the same time.

And I've never had a wish list come back after a daily call.

thanks!

4. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I got an "unexpected conflict" for a one-time recording tonight--didn't find out until it already should have been in progress, and it's been in the TDL for over a week. I've seen this at least once before, and I thought I'd posted in the DirecTiVo forum, but I couldn't find any mention of this error there in a search. It is pretty baffling.

5. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    In my case, it seems to occur when a one time recording is replaced by a series recording when the one time recording is no longer in the guide.

The first one occurred for a recording on a channel that was no longer available (due to reconfiguring the TIVO to eliminate the IR blaster).

It occurred to me, after a long conversation with TIVO support, that Ebert and Roeper could not possibly be on at the same time as Figure Skating since they are both on the same channel. Sure enough, ABC, which had originally had the skating at 5:00 pacific (which would have been live), moved it to 8:00 to be in primetime.

So, not only was I able to see that while Emily Hughes is a lovely skater (saw her in person last year - tv doesn't do her justice) sending Michelle Kwan to the Olympics is the right thing, I was also able to learn that the worst movie last year was either Duece Bigalow or Dukes of Hazzerd.

Thanks for the help. I hope my information is useful.

abby

6. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Abby,

Just wanted to mention that if you see Ebert and Roeper up against another show you want to record in the future, there is a repeat in the Bay Area most weeks.

I was juggling things around to accommodate all the skating broadcasts, so in order to save space on the hard drive, I 'moved' Ebert and Roeper out of the way by using 'View Upcoming Episodes" and choosing the Sunday evening broadcast.

At any rate, it's a curious bug. I have SPs for Figure Skating on ABC, and for Ebert and Roeper, and never saw a Guide Data entry for the women's free that was at 5 PM. Perhaps it changed when I wasn't looking, but every time I previewed my Guide Data before Nationals, the women's free was always set at 8 PM.

Jan

7. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Well, to explain further: in my most recent case I was recording a half-hour documentary film on Sundance Channel that overlapped with the Daily Show (which I pad). When on Monday evening I saw that some other Monday night programs weren't on, I manually selected recording the American Experience on PBS which then cancelled out the higher-priority Daily Show (I've got a two-tuner DTiVo). At this point the Sundance documentary was still in the TDL, but then around 10:45 I discovered it wasn't recording and the Daily Show was back in TDL. Curiously I noticed that when I looked at the info page for Mott Music (the documentary) it now lists the ability to SP it, which I did not recall and doesn't really make sense, but perhaps I just missed noticing it before. Or perhaps the guide data was altered and maybe that had something to do with it disappearing from the TDL....

8. abbydancer

abbydancer Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi Jan and thanks for the suggestion. I already record Sunday as well.

On the bedroom TIVO, which never has space problems, I record both Saturday and Sunday Ebert and Roeper, with an hour of padding on each as a backup. There have been too many times when it's either started late or been preempted entirely due to a sporting event running overtime.

I have Figure Skating on a wishlist, and I guess it was only briefly scheduled for 5pm, and that happened to be when I scheduled it for recording. Curious.

9. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    If I see any other problems with skating scheduling, I'll try to remember to post a heads-up. It may be a good idea to subscribe to the Season Pass Alerts forum, since that's where a lot of potential conflicts get talked about.

Jan