Port 80 blocked - VERY VERY confused

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by meant2live4him, Dec 30, 2008.

1. meant2live4him

meant2live4him New Member

Aug 18, 2008

Advertisements

I receive my internet for free through my work which provides me an apartment so a lot of the changes and what not are beyond my control. They recently blocked Port 80 for our internet so I am now unable to connect to the TiVo server. Every time it brings up an error and will not connect. I haven't been able to figure out a way to connect the TiVo to the server so now my program guide is gone because it hasn't updated it in a long time. I have read through a lot of stuff on here and still am very confused how to fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

I have tried connecting the tivo directly to the ethernet port, but it still doesn't work. I usually connect to the network with a Linksys WRT54GS router. I really would like to be able to continue to not to have to pay for internet.

Thanks for the help!

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    They blocked outbound port 80? That doesn't make any sense. You wouldn't be able to do any web browsing.

I think we need more details on your setup.

3. Southcross

Southcross New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I think he means its blocking WAN access to his TiVo while at work (incoming port 80)... thats common. One trick around it is to use port redirects on your broadband router. say, set it to accept incoming on port 10080 and redirect it to port 80 on the Tivo IP. Some routers you can do that, some you cant.. HTH

4. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    If it was just WAN access to the Tivo from external addresses, that doesn't explain why his Tivo can't connect to the Tivo service. And I can't see how using a redirect would solve that problem.

OP: how do you know that they blocked port 80? Your work pays for your apartment and internet access, correct? Did the ISP, your employer, or the Tivo tell you that port 80 was blocked? Did they mention if it was blocked inbound or outbound (if it was not the Tivo that told you this)? Do you know the name of the ISP?

5. Southcross

Southcross New Member

Nov 28, 2008

Advertisements

ahh... gotch.. mis-read

ok, its possible that the TiVo needs to re-DHCP a new address/DNS server IPs/etc

6. meant2live4him

Aug 18, 2008
    I live on a private school campus...they did some updates over Thanksgiving and our entire internet was down for like a week and when it came back up our TiVo wouldn't connect to the internet. We had troubles with our computers so the IT guy came and did whatever he had to do to get our computers to work so I mentioned to him that our TiVo wouldn't connect to the network. All I remember from what he said is that the main IT guy had blocked Port 80...I'm not 100% sure if it's inbound/outbound or whatever, but I believe he said inbound.

I reported the problem to the main IT guy and he flipped his lid on me for complaining about my TiVo not working. He said it was against the user acceptance policy and blah blah blah...pretty much being a huge d-bag about the entire thing. My xbox 360 works if I plug it straight into the ethernet port in the wall, but not when I go through the router. The TiVo doesn't work either way (wirelessly or if I plug it in). I have no information as to who the school's ISP.

I think I may try to redirect it if I can figure it out...I really have no idea how to do that.

7. meant2live4him

Aug 18, 2008
    Whenever I try to test the connection now it says "Service Not found"...I click "get more information" and it says "The TiVo Service is not answering. (N13) There might be a temporary problem with the Internet. Try connecting again later. Please make sure your firewall is not set to block UDP ports 37 or 123 or TCP ports 37, 80, 443, 5005, 5222, 5223, 7287, 7288, 8000, or 8080-8098."

So redirecting won't solve the issue if I try what some said earlier?

8. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    Is this a community router? or your own in your room/apt splitting the one jack the school provides?

9. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    It sounds like the router might be the problem, not all routers support , in-bound port private addressing. It might be simple as changing your router.

10. meant2live4him

Aug 18, 2008
    It's my own router and it worked perfectly fine until they did the stupid updates...I used to wire my 360 because I didn't have the wireless adapter and it worked through the router and then the TiVo connected fine wirelessly......but now I have to unplug the router to plug in the 360 for it to work and I thought maybe the TiVo would work if I plugged it straight into the jack, but it didn't work.....so I was super stumped.

The assistant IT who was a nice guy, unlike the idiot head IT guy...said if I could get it to go to a different port instead of 80 that it should work...but I had no idea waht he meant.