Pops using HDMI cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dsnyde27, Sep 25, 2007.

1. dsnyde27

dsnyde27 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have my Tivo Series 3 HD box connected to my LG using the HDMI interface. This works great except I get some pretty annoying popping sounds coming over the TV. So I connected the digital Fiber from the Tivo to the Stereo Receiver - no pops or crackles!! (unfortunately no Tivo sounds either which is weird...)

Is there an issue with HDMI on the Series 3? I love the picture and sound quality but hate this random popping and squeaking noise coming from the HDMI audio :(

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No problem from my boxes on HDMI. Did you try another HDMI cable to rule out a problem with the cable?

3. myyours

myyours New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    This was happening to me last night. First time I had heard it. It seemed to stop after a while, or I just got used to it. I'll see if I hear anything tonight.

How long has yours been lasting?

4. dsnyde27

dsnyde27 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I've only had the Tivo box for about a week and I noticed it right off the bat.... this is the HDMI cable that came with the Tivo... I have another one so I'll try that and let you know what I find....

5. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US

Advertisements

I have an LG TV set and haven't had that issue. I did have an issue with the TV set not passing the HDMI audio without a power cycle, though. When I added an HDMI switch into the mix, that problem was solved.

My TV set outputs optical audio to my receiver from its various inputs. I don't use the internal speakers.

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If using HDMI directly to your TV, go to Settings -> Audio -> PCM. That should eliminate the pops.

Pops occur on some TVs when audio is set to Dolby Digital 5.1. The overwhelming majority of HDTVs cannot handle a Dolby Digital signal. The Tivo is supposed to detect that your display cannot accept DD, and send PCM instead, but that doesn't always work correctly [with some TVs], and pops are the result.