1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor tuner in Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ecp3031, May 24, 2015.

1. ecp3031

ecp3031 New Member

May 24, 2015
    Hooking up OTA antenna to Roamio, finds all channels, but when watching many say no signal, or picture tiles and breaks up. Change antenna directly to Samsung 60" HDTV, receives all stations with perfect picture on all. All antennas here in Phoenix area are at same location, 18.3 miles from my house. Is the tuner in the Roamio that bad?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have OTA, but the postings all seem to indicate the Roamio has a very good tuner. If your CBS station, KPHO at 1MW from 18 miles is bad, something is very wrong.

A not uncommon problem is signals that are too strong. Perhaps you could attenuate the signal? It should not be at 100.

3. ecp3031

ecp3031 New Member

May 24, 2015
    CBS OK. Fox no signal. ABC signal in and out, almost impossible to watch Indy 500. NBC ok. PBS no signal. Moving antenna makes no difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Here's a fun fact that I experience with my Roamio Basic.

Connected it to a 4 bay bow-tie UHF antenna... because it was "there" & easy.
    During the day light hours. The Roamio would tune ALL Los Angeles local channels.
    After dusk, it would only tune the UHF channels: CBS, NBC & KTLA.

The other locals 7, 9, 11, 13 & PBS were switched to VHF after the great digital switch over.

Connecting Roamio to a VHF/UHF antenna restored all local channels.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    More fun facts:
    KPHO phy 17 virt 5 1MW
    KPNX phy 12 virt 12 819KW
    KSAZ phy 10 virt 10 48KW
    KNXV phy 15 virt 15 458KW
    KAET phy 8 virt 8 25KW (really)

6. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    My OTA has a great tuner. Better than my Samsung TVs. Each setup has unique conditions though, and your particular unit could have an issue I suppose.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Check out the Tropospheric Ducting Forecast to see when atmospheric conditions allow reception to be optimum.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

I used to use it all the time between 2001 and 2004 so I would know when I could reliably get reception from the Baltimore TV stations. And would setup my HD recordings accordingly. Since the DC ABC station at the time only has 2.0 Dolby Digital while the Baltimore ABC station had 5.1 Dolby Digital,.

8. Mar 6, 2017 #8 of 44
    MikeBr

MikeBr New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Manhattan, NYC.
    Same problem here in NYC (Manhattan). My old Tivo HD received all the OTA channels without a hitch or need to reorient the indoor antenna for different channels. The new Tivo Roamio OTA cannot receive the channels with the same indoor antenna without reorienting the antenna for different channels. This makes it useless for recording different channels simultaneously or while away from home. Like you I have a 60" Samsung that can receive the OTA channels like my old Tivo HD, which is to say perfectly and without a need to reorient the antenna. Clearly the tuner is lower quality than my old Tivo or new Samsung TV. Before I bought the Roamio I bought and returned the "Tablo" DVR due to its poor tuner. Then I bought a Channel Master DVR and also had a weak tuner. The irony is that all these OTA only DVR's have poor tuners. One would think that OTA only DVR's would have excellent tuners. My old Tivo HD had both OTA (excellent) and cable reception. I guess they decided to save a few pennies per unit in production cost.

9. Mar 6, 2017 #9 of 44
    hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    My 6 month old Roamio OTA, connected to an attic mounted antenna with multiple splits, works perfectly well. I've been quite happy with it. While I've no idea why you've had problems, I think saying they all have poor tuners is inaccurate.

10. MikeBr

MikeBr New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Manhattan, NYC.
    I believe outdoor antennas are superior. I live in an apartment in Manhattan surrounded by other buildings. Nevertheless my old Tivo had perfect reception as well as my new Samsung UHD TV all using the same antenna in same location. By the way this is my second Roamio as the first had a hard drive problem but both had same reception problems.

11. RSCHOON

RSCHOON Member

Sep 7, 2013
    My tuner on my Roamio sucks and it's not the ota version. I have cable and they say the signal is good, yet my TiVo regularly doesn't tune channels or is pixelated. I constantly have to fully unplug, wait, and reboot. I hate TiVo right now.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    I trimmed the cord over six years ago with a Premiere and then upgraded to a Roamio. I'm across the river from Philadelphia in south Jersey and tried every indoor UHF/VHF antenna I could lay my hands on and nothing performed as consistently as a chimney mounted UHF/VHF antenna. My ex wife stopped complaining about the cord trimming when the $39 Antennacraft 5884 gave us a flawless 60" picture for WCAU/CBS 3's Survivor and Sunday Morning. The large 58" VHF array was essential to receive the "Low-VHF" ABC affiliate on WPVI.

The punchline is, if you want the best over the air, mid to full size attic or roof antennas are required.

Happy viewing, Michael

PCurry57 likes this.
  13. MikeBr

MikeBr New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Manhattan, NYC.
    Point is my old Tivo HD had perfect reception with my indoor antenna as does my Samsung UHD tv. Reception is not as reliable with the Tivo Roamio OTA using the same antenna. Clearly the Tivo Roamio tuner has less capability to handle signals that are less than ideal.

14. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I have two TiVo Premieres and a Roamio OTA I'm 20+ miles from Cedar Hill. Add the ground clutter between here and there I had to go with exterior antenna mounted on my balcony and a pre-amp. I had to add a VHF antenna to get my local ABC (WFAA) affiliate due to the fact it remained in the high VHF band. The Roamio tuner is defiantly better than the Premieres.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T817P)

15. MikeBr

MikeBr New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Manhattan, NYC.
    I can't speak for the tuner quality of the Tivo Premiers. I can however speak for the tuner quality of the Roamio OTA compared to the older Tivo HD as I have(had Tivo HD). The Tivo HD had flawless reception with my indoor antenna without the need to reorient depending on the channel, not so with the Roamio. I live in Manhattan, NYC, with many tall buildings nearby so signal is not ideal. Nevertheless the old Tivo HD handled OTA reception perfectly unlike the Roamio.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    All we can do is give our personal experience when it comes to how well the OTA tuners work in various products.

Because we do not have a large enough sampling of units and because OTA reception is unique to each location and the equipment setup, not to mention that reception at a single location can very day to day based on any number of conditions it is nearly impossible to make any valid conclusions about the abilities of OTA tuners in any line of products.

For me right now I have a Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere, base Roamio, Bolt, Panasonic TV, and SiliconDust HDHomeRun network attach OTA tuner. Many days I have multi path issues and can have stations come and go at any time. I normally have 4 units plugged in at once, but during testing I have used the main feed without splitting. The antenna is a deep fringe roof mounted with a pre-amp on a 100 foot run. The towers are 35 miles away and according to web sites I have line of site.

The HDHomeRun and Premiere consistently and noticeably perform worse than the other units. The Panasonic TV is the best but not enough better to really matter, the Series 3, TiVo HD, base Roamio, & Bolt are effectively equal.

In the end the above tell yous nothing about the over all performance of any of these units compared to the others and tells you nothing about how models of any of these units will perform in your environment.

17. MikeBr

MikeBr New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Manhattan, NYC.

I can only relate my experience. My experience indicates a decline in reception ability (OTA) from my older Tivo v. the new Roamio.

18. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Could you post the results for your reception for your address from TVFool.com as well as info on the antenna you are using and where/how it is mounted? That will give us a better shot of helping you trouble shoot your reception issues. I've owned each model of TiVo since the series 3, and have used all of them OTA. I typically agree that the series 3/HD model seemed to give me the fewest OTA reception issues. Premier was quite bad for OTA when I tried one, Roamio has done pretty well for me, both for my personal setup and in a number of setups for different friends, while I've found the Bolt to be a bit more challenging for OTA. TiVo tuners can certainly be finicky, and as mentioned too strong a signal is often an issue as much as too weak a signal is. Every location has it's own unique reception characteristics but people on this forum can at least give you a good guess on things that may help you.

19. MikeBr

MikeBr New Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Manhattan, NYC.
    According to TVFool.com all my digital channels (2.1, 4.1, 5.1 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 13.1) show as green, so should work with an indoor antenna. They all worked perfectly with my Tivo HD (Series 3) without reorienting my antenna for different channels. Must reorient at times for the Roamio. Antenna is an RCA non-amplified Model ANTB25 about 8 inches off the floor against a wall facing north about 1 mile away from the transmission - Empire State Building. I tried an amplified Terk antenna but reception was poor with or without amplification. I am on the tenth floor so about 100-120 feet above the ground. Reception only works in this location. If I raise the antenna and place in a window I get very poor reception. Reception problems: Ch 4.1 mostly good, Ch 5.1 & 9.1 no reception without antenna reorientation. Others channels work fine unless I orient the antenna to receive ch 5.1 & 9.1. or for better reception for 4.1. Reception is perfect when using direct connection to the TV tuner of my Samsung UHD TV model UN60KS8000 on all channels without antenna reorientation. Had same reception problems before buying my Roamio with other DVR brands: Tablo, Channelmaster+ which I returned for refunds due to poor reception. The Roamio is better than those but still not as good as the old Tivo HD and my Samsung tv.

20. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Your situation is similar to my daughter who lives right in DC. She is too close to the towers and undoubtedly has multipath issues. I too found that, one she just needed a very small antenna and two antenna placement is key. I tried a couple of antennas and tried a bunch of locations for antenna placement but wound up using a cheap pair of rabbit ears as she has both VHF and UHF stations. She still gets occasional breakup on a couple of channels. Those situations are always going to be challenging regardless of the tuner.