Poor signal at Gen 1 Mini (lower channels)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Banana-Heads, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Banana-Heads

Banana-Heads Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I have a Tivo Bolt with Gen 1 Mini. Passive Drop Amp with built in MoCA in the attic. Tivo Authorized PoE filter at tuning adapter. Tivo bridge. I believe everything is setup properly.

The signal at the Bolt is beautiful. No chop, drops or anything. Yet at the Mini, it's not terrible but the signal gets slight interruptions of lines and flashes of distortion in long horizontal blocks about every 3 seconds. It only occur on locals and lower channels, 4 - 28 and the HD higher channel alternatives. The rest of the channels are beautiful like the Bolt.

I tried removing the splitter at the tuning adapter and using a direct connection (I know a splitter is recommended.) Didn't help, although it didn't make it worse. I switched out the PoE filter. Same result. Rebooted both devices several times. No change.

Spectrum came out and did a signal test. It's strong. They are at a loss of what it could be. I'm at a loss too at this point.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tivo Setup.png

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One quick check to see if it's a coax issue would be to connect the Mini via Ethernet to the BOLT's currently unused Ethernet port. You'd need to be able to connect the Mini to the TV display, as well, but you should then be able to configure the Mini for an Ethernet connection and have full functionality -- and with no other hardware between the Mini and its host DVR than the Cat5/6 cable you choose to use to connect them.

p.s. The test is a variation of a benefit of having a TiVo DVR set up as a MoCA client, as described in this post.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If the Ethernet test doesn't produce the same symptoms, you could try a 2-way splitter at the BOLT location to then connect the Mini as a MoCA client.

To be honest, though, if you were having a network (MoCA) problem with the Mini, the problem is usually exhibited by a failed connection, rather than the artifacts you've described. I'd also look into the HDMI cable being used at the Mini, and perhaps the TV's HDMI input to which the Mini is connected.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  4. Banana-Heads

Banana-Heads Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I'll give those suggestions a shot this weekend.

krkaufman likes this.