Poor scan sensitivity using OTA with premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wmgoat, Apr 4, 2016.

1. wmgoat

wmgoat New Member

Feb 25, 2006

Advertisements

Trying to cut the cable cord. Installed an attic antenna. Pulled in 57 digital channels when connected directly to tv. Woo hoo!!! Good bye cable!

Moved coax connection from tv to TiVo. Pulled out cable card on TiVo premier and went through guided setup. No other changes made other than OTA. TiVo only found 4 stations and none of these were major networks. Did manual scan again. Only got 2 channels. Boo hoo. :confused. What's up with that?

How can I get TiVo to do a better i.e. more sensitive scan? I'm looking pretty silly to my better half who really doesn't want to leave cable.

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    There's two inputs on the Premier, make use you're using the one for antenna. I also had a connection problem once due to the length of the copper wire that sticks out of the connector. It can cause connection problems if that copper wire is too long or too short or bent at an angle.

3. MacBrian

MacBrian Active Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    The Premiere models are notorious for exactly this problem. TV tuners pick up your antenna signal fine, but the tuner(s) in the Premiere are much more picky about the signal they receive.

If you're serious about cutting the cord consider finding a local antenna installer to come install a solid, reliable system. At $50-$80/month for cable, if it costs $200 or $300 for a professionally installed antenna that doesn't disappoint with frequent drop-outs and pixelization, the payback time is only months -- and then you're done and will have a reliable paid-for system. That's what I did 4-5 years ago when we moved to a newer home. I paid someone to come put in an attic antenna and to make sure that all the signals we received were rock solid. The payback was 6-9 months, and I haven't regretted it since. I had tried to do it myself in our previous house and had a working system, but not being a professional I was never able to get ALL the channels as reliable as I have now.

Just my 2ยข -- and maybe worth half of that. :rolleyes:

4. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Remember Station RF Channels and in many cases Bands will change in the next 9-48 months. You might not have needed VHF before and will in the future. Plan your purchases accordingly, especially as VHF is much harder to pickup, especially in an attic - and most ATSC 1.0 Lifehouses will end up on VHF Lo or hi.

Stations that do not take the money to move to VHF Hi or Low and stay on UHF have a vested interest (mobile) to move to ATSC 3.0 as quickly as possible which will not work on any current TiVos - or any current consumer equipment period.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

What?

They moved almost everybody up to UHF when they went digital, now they're going to move them back down?

And what about all the bandwidth the first responders were supposed to get out of the switch?

It's been my experience that VHF is generally easier to pick up than UHF, being less directional and less subject to being stopped dead by a pine tree.

6. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Well, wireless wants the UHF Bands.

FCC offering Millions - HUNDREDS of Millions in a lot of cases for stations to sign off or move to VHF Low or High.

Then they intend to Auction the frequencies to Wireless and other, including some unlicensed frequencies that Google wants - and is really pushing this with Obama's buddies as well as Obama's FCC Chairman Appointee and former Lobbyist for Cable an Wireless Industry trying to destroy OTA Broadcasting.

VHF is generally much harder to receive as it does not have the penetration and the wavelength is so long (as seen for the antennas needed for VHF v UHF). Carries further on lower power, just cannot penetrate when it gets there.

That is also why the wireless companies want the 600 and 500Mhz bands.

A lot of other threads on this, so don't want to start again here.

7. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016