Poor color depth in menus and programming

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mexaly, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mexaly

mexaly New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Today I noticed that both DirecTV programming and the Tivo menus have lower color depth than before. Faces in programming look slightly cartoonish. The ball-shaped bullets in "Now Playing" have obvious, coarse dithering. It's like viewing a webpage on a PC with 256 colors.

I have a Hughes Series 2 model HDVR2, running software version 6.3e-01-2-151.

I have not touched the cables in several weeks. I am using an S-Video cable from the Tivo unit to an off-brand digital 720p television.

I tried checking the TV by playing a DVD and the color depth looks normal there, although the DVD player is going in through HDMI and not S-Video. I've reviewed the video settings for the television and I don't see anything that looks like it affects color depth.

Suggestions, corroborating experiences, ???

thank you very much.

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Try disconnecting the s-video cable and go through the red white yellow cables if that does't work try the RG59 to TV to see if either cures the problem.