Poor Closed Captions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by PedjaR, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1 of 33
    PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC

Advertisements

I have noticed that on some channels (SyFyHD most notably; all shows I've seen there are bad in that respect) closed captions are very poor - sometimes they show OK for a minute, then disappear altogether for a long stretch; sometimes they show in some weird, unreadable script font; sometimes they cover only a small portion of what was actually said. Broadcast network shows usually are OK. The reason I am posting in Tivo forum is that I have not noticed this problem with the Time Warner cable DVR I used to rent. The captions on the same SyFy channel seemed generally reliable, and it never, ever, showed the weird font. Am I imagining things, or is Tivo more sensitive to imperfect CC then cable DVR? I don't have the cable DVR any more, so I can not confirm using the exact same show.

2. Oct 9, 2010 #2 of 33
    ItsRounder

ItsRounder New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    What if you turn on your TV's closed captioning to see if it's a problem with the captions themselves? Does the TV show them properly? I watch quite a bit of closed captioning with my Tivo and haven't had the issues you're reporting. My TiVo always says that there are no closed captions even when there are but I just ignore what it says.

3. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Can you try one of SyFyHD shows (I had issues with just about any of them - Haven, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Stargate Universe)? I can't get that channel on TV without going through Tivo (it's encripted). Tivo does not pass closed captions through to the TV, it just overlays them. I did notice that it sometimes says there are no CC, but they are there anyway.

4. ItsRounder

ItsRounder New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    What I mean is that when it's playing on your TiVo you can still turn on the TV's closed captioning and it will get the data from the TiVo. You can even turn on both the TV's and TiVo's subtitles at the same time. Compare what the TV shows vs. what the TiVo shows and that should let you know if the TiVo is the problem or if it's the subtitles themselves.

5. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC

Advertisements

I was trying to tell you that the TV does not get the CC data from Tivo. I can watch a clear QAM channel (with known good captions) bypassing Tivo and it will show TV's captions OK; I can watch the same channel through Tivo and it will only show Tivo's captions (i.e will not show TVs's captions at all).
    So, I can not check TV's captions on the particular channel (SyFyHD) I am having problems with, as it is encrypted.

6. Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
    To use the CC decoder from your TV, your Tivo resolution has to be at 480. 720 or 1080 does not pass through the data.

7. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    480i does not either. I turned off the other resolutions and played both an SD and an HD content, neither passed CC to the TV (both have CC when Tivo was bypassed).

8. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    Our closed captioning problem hit the pain threshold last night. The problem was (with recorded CSI) truncated sentences, missing text not garbled words. This was happening about 25% of the time.
    So I hooked up the TiVo Prem. to an old analog set via composite cable plus RCA audio, disconnecting everything else from the HDTV (Samsung UN-40C6300SFXZA)
    and TiVo. The old analog tv decoded the entire text correctly, without fault; but the TiVo generated captioning would consistently fail to display the same words of the spoken text.
    I then tried both component and composite video on the HDTV with TiVo generated captioning; but both ways, the TV displayed the same truncated video text as with the HDMI connection! Does the HDTV have the same fault as the TiVo? Aside - As reported elsewhere, this HDTV design will not internally decode any captioning fed from any type of TiVo video signal, i.e., only direct cable feeds into the TV will enable internal caption decoding.
    This generated a call to TiVo support. They offered to replace the unit. I also learned that this replacement unit, for my 6 months old unit, will use up my 2-year warranty. A two year warranty is good for 2-years or until you make a claim - whichever comes first! Maybe everyone but me knew that.

Solution found - turn off digital captioning, using analog captioning only

9. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Thanks, that worked great. I did not know that on digital channels you still get analog captioning.

10. hcloyes

hcloyes New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    My problem with CC is different than these ideas. I can turn CC on but the sound is still on, I have to mute the sound. The difference with my Series 2 is that when I click the mute button the sound is muted and CC turns on. My premiere TIVO does not give me any options for how I want CC to be displayed. Is this a mistake or was the Premier set up to be different from previous versions

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That sounds like a TV or receiver feature and not a TiVo feature with your Series 2. Our old Toshiba TV would do that (turn on closed captioning when you muted it) before we connected it through a receiver for surround sound at which time the mute operated on the receiver and not the TV.

Scott

12. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    From Tivo Central, go to messages & settings > settings > displays > closed captioning.
    There you will find options for font type, font size and color. Also, background color

13. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Since I set up the TPXL I have always gotten a 'not available' banner when trying to access CC on my Samsung Plasma HDTV, using the Samsung remote.

When you turned off digital captioning, which cable setup were you using to get CC to work on your HDTV?
    I just tried turning off digital captioning and still get the 'not available' banner, using HDMI cable.

Slightly off topic:
    Is there a way to turn on CC with the Tivo remote without having to scroll through the info menu?

14. KevinWP

KevinWP New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    HuntsVegas, AL
    Disabling the digital CC stream and forcing the tivo to output the analog CC stream solved my problem. (I had unusable CC's in Sherlock Holmes recorded off HBOHD last night. Switching to analog CC's and replaying the saved program confirmed this is the solution I needed))

This should be added to a generic TIVO FAQ somewhere as a problem and solution.

It's also pathetic that the box cannot decode a digital text stream. Is it a problem with the digital CC implementation on HBO? As passed on by my local cable company? or is it a problem with the Tivo Premier itself?

Thanks!

Kevin

15. KevinWP

KevinWP New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    HuntsVegas, AL
    Nevermind.. I just realized I misread your question.

16. darksurtur

darksurtur Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I assume you mean hitting the info button, scrolling down to the fifth item, and hitting enter? Yes, that is the fastest way, as far as I can tell (I've tried to find a faster one). A remote macro is the only alternative, as far as I can tell.

17. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Are there macros out there for tivo remotes?
    Where to get them and how to install?
    I would not know where to begin if asked to write a macro.

18. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    -----

In my view, you seem to be mixing up the responsibility for putting closed captioning on the screen. My experience was also with a Samsung TV and an HDMI cable. My Samsung cannot (will not) develop closed captioning from the TiVo signal. Therefore, when I tried using the Samsung closed captioning command, I got 'not available' also. So make sure the Samsung closed captioning is not selected.

Instead, I use the TiVo 'Info' screen's scheme to chose closed captioning. This way the Samsung is not involved with generating closed captioning. The closed captioning is generated in the TiVo and sent imbedded to the Samsung via HDMI. And the Samsung shouldn't even be aware of any captioning effort.

It is under this circumstance that I found poor captioning coming from the TiVo, characterized mostly by dropped text. I also have found that, regardless of what kind of closed captioning the TiVo 'info' screen says is available, the captioning was messed up in multiple ways unless I pre-setup closed captioning via Settings, Displays, Close Captioning, Standard Captions (misnamed earlier as 'analog') as 'CC1,' and Digital Captions as 'None.' In my experience this is flawless.

Sorry for being windy, but this tracks my interpretation of your circumstance.

19. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Nothing to apologise for. I appreciate the response.

I have previously gone through all the same steps you describe, without all of the understanding you have. I just played around with CC settings til it worked.
    I am actually pretty happy with Tivo CC. Some channels (or maybe it is the shows) are flawless delivering CC and the worst channels have some dropped text which does not really effect content.
    I just miss the convenience of 1 button press to get to CC.

Thinking back to pre-TPXL days, with the old S2 hooked up - using Samsung CC...there were issues mostly with inaccurate text or excessive lag and some really terrible spelling mistakes....which would make me either laugh or groan.

20. johasco

johasco New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Thank you so VERY much for this solution!! I have been trying to figure out how to get CC on HD programs on TiVo for months, and this works, as you say, flawlessly.