Poll: Standby or leave running?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MrTangent, Oct 11, 2007.

Do you usually just leave your TiVo running or put it in standby mode?

1. I leave my TiVo running.

84.1%
  2. I put my TiVo on standby mode.

15.9%
  1. MrTangent

MrTangent *insert title here*

May 17, 2007
    Mount...

Advertisements

I just turn my TV off and leave it running, but I'm curious what others do and if there's any benefits to doing either.

Lastly, it seems that the TiVo still records fine in standby mode so I'm curious what the difference is?

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Leave it running. I think the only thing it does is turn off the video output.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I've never seen a Tivo in standby mode that wasn't running. It does everything in standby except output a picture. Turning your TV off accomplishes the same thing.

4. wgw

wgw Member

May 16, 2007
    I only use Standby to control which Tivo or cable box my A/V selector auto selects to send output to TV's in other rooms.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

What's "standby mode"? ;) :D

6. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Standby mode, since on my DirecTivo it shuts off the sound as well. That way, I only have to "shut down" the TV and the Tivo, not the receiver as well.

7. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    any check the watt usuage usiing killawatt differences?

8. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I put the Tivo into standby mode but that is only because I have roommates and have the Tivo in the common area. They don't touch my Tivo at all, which is a good thing, yet they can still watch TV whenever they want.

9. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    Thats about the only use I see in using standby. I did that in my dorm room when I knew my roomate would want to watch TV and i wasn't going to be around. He wasn't tech savy and was affraid he would mess something up on the Tivo.

10. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Agreed. One roommate is tech savvy the other is not, so easier to do standby. Also then would have to fight what shows they want to record/watch and just too much stress. Before having roommates I would only put the Tivo into standby to watch live TV (gasp!) That was very rare instances, like for the BCS announcement earlier this year and other things.

11. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    now if there is a sports event on at the same time a show that is going to be recorded, i will put the tivo into standby and watch TV while it records in the background.

12. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    OP: Why did you choose to make this a public poll? That's not the default.

13. dre_dbldbl

dre_dbldbl New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    San Francisco
    I share the TVs in the house with family members that channel surf like crazy. They don't need to TiVo while watching, so my recordings come out undisturbed. I have the boxes on A/V cables, and access TiVo on the Line input when I want to go over my recordings. I keep the boxes on standby, and when not watching my programs I leave the TV on the main cable input.

14. cjw2001

cjw2001 Member

Feb 10, 2003
    If you have a series 3 with cable cards placing it in standby mode will allow it to ignore emergency alert messages.

15. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
  16. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I put my Sony SVR-3000 into standby often, but only because it has a power switch on the remote (as well as the front panel) making it very convenient to do so.

On my other TiVo's I feel it's too inconvenient to go into the menu just to put it into standby.

17. MrTangent

MrTangent *insert title here*

May 17, 2007
    Mount...
    I made it public because I like information. There's no personal information to be gleaned from it, so why not? I kinda like seeing who answers to what.

18. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Same here. My Toshiba SD-H400 has a standby(power) on the remote, so often in the process of turning everything off, I'll also turn it off. Just by habit.

Also out of habit, about the only time I put my Tivo brand 540040 on standby is when I am unglugging it for one reason or another.

19. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Why? If you're going to unplug it, why bother going through the steps to put it in standby?

20. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Some units have a small power reduction when in standby. If memory serves, about 3 watts for the Series 3.

Standby will turn off the front displays, turn off the video out on the back, pass-through the coax signal from the cable in (if there's a coax out on the model), and let the unit know "i'm not watching" if it wants to start recording suggestions.

It's in my bedroom, so I put it in standby so it doesn't light up the room quite as much.