Poll: for those of us receiving the non-rebate "No strings" DVRs from DirecTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DesignDawg, Jan 30, 2006.

What receiver did you get, and how was it delivered?

1. R10, shipped directly to me (no installer)

5.9%
  2. R10, brought to me by installer

2.2%
  3. Non-R10 Series 2, shipped to me directly (no installer)

80.9%
  4. Non-R10 Series 2, brought to me by installer

2.2%
  5. R15, shipped to me directly (no installer) --It could happen.

1.6%
  6. R15, brought to me by installer

7.3%
  1. Jan 30, 2006 #1 of 617
    DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Since there's a sizeable number of us here who have cashed in on the totally free DVR offer from this thread and others, I wanted to make a poll to see if we can keep track of what/how everyone's getting. So, if/when you get yours, please come back and "vote" the appropriate answer.

Thanks,

Ricky

P.S. I KNOW the offer specifically states it's a 40 GB model, which means NOT an R10, but someone in the above thread has already received an R10 from this offer. --So since there are R10s being delivered already, and knowing the lack of organization DTV exhibits sometimes, I see a real possibility that there will be R15s delivered as well, despite the offer specifically stating it is a DVR "with TiVo technology...

2. Jan 30, 2006 #2 of 617
    beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005
    How about adding a category for those that want to take advantage of the offer, but aren't able to get through the online order process? I.e., get the dreaded "We are sorry, but there was a system error. Please try again later" message.

3. Jan 30, 2006 #3 of 617
    mgmrick

mgmrick Haven't broke yet

Aug 28, 2002
    Port Byron...
    Same thing here.......system error

4. Jan 31, 2006 #4 of 617
    rlmalmberg

rlmalmberg New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    System error here also.

5. Jan 31, 2006 #5 of 617
    mgmrick

Aug 28, 2002
    Port Byron...

Advertisements

Still system error here. Talked to dtv all the way up to retention. They do not know what the problem is. They wanted to send me a free dvr and be done with it. Told them I do not want that dvr at any price (their new DVR). With that in mind nothing that they can do for me.

Rick

6. Jan 31, 2006 #6 of 617
    curbside

curbside Member

Apr 29, 2005
    San...
    I called yesterday and the CSR told me I could only order it using the link in the email and not on the phone. <shrug>

7. Jan 31, 2006 #7 of 617
    Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    I am supposed to be getting mine tomorrow via Fedex delivered to my house. I called D* this AM and talked to the Sales Support team, and got my tracking number from them and verified it through Fedex that it was being shipped to my address. I also verified from the Sales Support team that it can't be the R15 (since it does not have TiVo) or the R10 (because it is a 40 GB). The Sales Support guy said that it could be any of the others though including a Series 1 DTiVo.

8. Jan 31, 2006 #8 of 617
    Mumbo Jumbo

Mumbo Jumbo New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    I got mine by FedEx last Saturday. It has Tivo, it is an R10 80GB unit. It is not -I repeat, not- a 40GB unit.

9. Jan 31, 2006 #9 of 617
    MikeF

MikeF New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Falcon, CO
    I just called the local Ironwood Communications and was told they had me down for an R15 to be delivered and installed on Thursday. I told them if it was an R15 then I'm going to cancel the order as I won't accept it since this offer specifically states its a refurbished DVR with TiVo technology. He was floored and said he'd never heard of such a thing and they were specifically told by DTV to only send out R15's for all new DVR installs unless this is an equipment malfunction. I gave him information about the offer and he looked it up and said he's got to call DTV now to find out what is going on. He did mention he had an SDDVR80 in the back he'd try to get to me, but wasn't sure he could do it since its for an equipment replacement and doesn't have an access card... Waiting to hear back from him later today after he talks to DTV and whoever else he as to talk to.

BTW: If you call your local installer, being nice to them goes a long way (rather than jumping down their throats). I could tell this guy had no idea what was going on with this offer, so I gave him copies of the email and showed him how to use the DVR4ME code on the website. He was amazed at the offer and how specific it was about at 35 hour DTivo unit. He claims he hasn't seen one of those in a good year.

10. Jan 31, 2006 #10 of 617
    DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Looks like someone has gotten an R15 from this deal already. Someone has already voted "R15, delivered by installer". Honestly, I hope I get an R15. If they come with an R10, I'm going to ask if they'll swap for the R15. The R15 is, at the moment, a total POS. But not by design. It's buggy as anything, but once the bugs are worked out, it's gonna be a really nice piece of equipment, plus, it's where DTV is going. I've never been a fan of the TiVo interface, and now that I have an R15 in the living room, I'd like to get the same thing in both rooms. As it is, we watch very little TV in the bedroom, so reliability isn't that huge an issue.
    I know most of you guys won't understand my reasoning here. That's OK. I cuss and hate that R15 every day, and here I am wishing for another. :)
    But if I DO get a DTiVo, like the deal says, I'll gladly install it in the bedroom, as I only have a DVR39 in there right now. The R10 would be a step up for me (not being interested in hacking it and all...

Ricky

11. Jan 31, 2006 #11 of 617
    RussellF

RussellF New Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Boulder, CO.
    How can I find the link to get in on this deal?

12. Jan 31, 2006 #12 of 617
  13. Jan 31, 2006 #13 of 617
    RussellF

RussellF New Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Boulder, CO.
    Thanks -

what if I do not want it delivered by an installer? I can handle it through the mail.

Do I have to call?

14. Jan 31, 2006 #14 of 617
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    When I tried that link I got: "The page that you were directed to could not be located. We're constantly updating our website to make it as informative as possible, so here are some links to help you find what you were looking for:"

15. Jan 31, 2006 #15 of 617
    MikeF

MikeF New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Falcon, CO
    That link is incorrect... The forums do not show the entire link so you can't highlight it and copy/paste. Here is the correct link:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/hw/OfferDetail.dsp?OHO_ATTR_PROMO_CODE=DVR4ME (It looks the same but its not the same link)l

Or just login to your account and then click on the add or replace receiver link on the page (middle bottom). Then put in the code DVR4ME and you will get the same offer.

Good luck.

As for getting it via FedEx or via the installer I think it has to do with how you answer the question on whether this is a replacement reciever or you are moving a receiver. I need a new multiswitch so I put its moving the receiver and now mine is coming via an installer. I'm guessing others put they are replacing a receiver so they get it FedEx (but thats just a guess). The other I guess is it may depend on where you live and the installer in your area and how they prefer to do these...

16. Jan 31, 2006 #16 of 617
    RussellF

RussellF New Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Boulder, CO.
    I ordered online, then called. They say someone has to come and install it.

They won't ship it.

Go figure - I am only replacing an old reciever. But great deal!

17. Jan 31, 2006 #17 of 617
    tonyp126

tonyp126 New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I ordered mine last week and it was delivered yesterday via FedEx. I did the install and activation myself and then canceled the required installation. I too was just replacing a non-DVR unit.

18. Jan 31, 2006 #18 of 617
    RussellF

RussellF New Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Boulder, CO.
    Thanks for the info.

If mine comes via Fed Ex I will do the same.

19. Jan 31, 2006 #19 of 617
    mgmrick

Aug 28, 2002
    Port Byron...
    Still system error here. I tried talking to dtv..all the way up to the retention dept. No luck they can not order thru this offer. Last night I sent out email to dtv and got email back

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry that you had problems getting into the web site. I have confirmed that the site is now available and you should be able to successfully access it.

Please use this link http://pull.xmr3.com/cgi-bin/pull/D...ferDetail_dsp~OHO_ATTR_PROMO_CODE=DVR4ME.html to access your special offer.

Still not working

Thanks
    Rick

20. Jan 31, 2006 #20 of 617
    DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, it was the LEAST LIKELY thing, I thought... But mine came today, shipped directly to me. And it is in fact a 40GB Series2. Just like the offer said. To be exact, its a Hughes DVR40. Kinda sucks. I was hoping for an R10 or an R15. Anyone want to trade an R15 for a Series2? ;)

Ricky