Pokey TiVo tranfer rate...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MeStinkBAD, Jan 14, 2006.

1. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Tucson, Az

Advertisements

I use a Linksys USB100TX USB to Ethernet connector to connect a TiVo to a network. I got it long long ago and have used it for other things. Anyhow transfer rates over both wired and wireless are very slow. A little over 300K sec. This seems far to low. It's no different using wired or wireless conections, I still get the same speed. Can someone tell me what's up?

What would you say would be the best way to connect a TiVo to a network? I mean what USB network adapter/USB wireless adapter would you personnaly choose? Would this help any with the transfer rate?

Oh and I am sure this question has been asked before, but WHY DOES IT USE USB FOR THE NETWORK CONNECTION? Why not use a standard RJ-45 ethernet connector? I don't understand WHY it uses USB? FireWire is a better choice than USB! In fact USB is not what I'd use in a network setup! Ethernet/Firewire are both standardized for network commincation. USB has no standard and requires support specifically for the adapter used to function. It's very fustrating for me. I would rather see the USB ports used for other devices like HID (Keybourds, Mice, etc) devices.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Get a USB2.0 adapter. The Netgear FA120 and D-Link DUB-E100 are the best.
    I get over 900KB/Sec, on my 240 S2. My understanding is you likely won't get over 500KB/S on an 5xx S2.5 unit. The TiVo G adapter on a 5xx unit gets the same as a USB 2.0 ethernet adapter.

At the time, USB was cheaper, for them, and more flexible for their customers.
    Firewire would be fine around a computer, but no good for a home network, especially for todays larger homes, where ethernet or wireless works fine.

3. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    You get 900K transfer speeds??? How? I have the FA120 and my transfer speed to my desktop is a mere 350K/sec.
    DHCP is handled by the wired router BEFSR41 V3. The TiVo and the PC have static IP's.
    [​IMG]

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The one thing that no one has mentioned is how you are connecting to your network isn't really what is slowing the TiVo transfers down. What's causing the problem is the fact that TiVo has to process the video stream before sending it out over your network, so no matter what connects you to your network a very limiting factor will be the ability of TiVo to process the video stream.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

5. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005

Advertisements

Why does it have to precess the file, shouldl't it just have to move file A from TiVo to PC or does it do some live converting. And if that is the case will a program recorded at a lower quality transfer at a quicker rate then one recorded at best?

6. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Going with the quality affecting transfer rates: I recorded 24 at BEST and it is transfering at 550-650 KB/sec which is nearly 200 KB/sec faster than TV shows i record at medium.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Flyinace2000,

Sorry I don't remember the technical reasons TiVo has to process a file before its transferred to your PC, you could look back through old posts if you want. I don't think it was that long ago when I read a full explanation.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

8. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Maybe its adding the DRM on the fly?