Podcaster and Podshow - Perfect Together!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by robaustin, Jul 20, 2006.

1. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know about a great new thing I found. If you set up an account on Podshow.com - you can create your own channel of all your favorite podcasts on their site. Then you can take that channel's Raw XML URL and put it as a favorite in your TIVO Podcast list, and it will show you all the recent episodes of all the shows in one place.

Thus - you do not have to enter any of the shows' URLs manually and individually on your TIVO. And you can add and remove shows on Podshow.com - and control them from the web in an easy to use interface.

Figured you would all want to know. Great solution to a big problem with the TIVO podcast app.

--*Rob

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Wow. I'm impressed someone actually uses TiVo's Podcaster application seriously without pulling their hair out. I use my PSP to get audio podcasts now since it can actually download them automatically and I can pause and rewind them.

3. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...
    Thanks robautin for the info. I use the Tivo Podcaster on a regular basis! :up:

4. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...
    Once you enter shows into podshow what XML url should you enter into the Tivo Podcaster.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

5. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004

Advertisements

You create a Channel with your shows on Podshow. Once you have that Channel, if you can show the XML URL for the channel (on the left side of the channel listing).

If you need help PM me.

--*Rob

6. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...
    Thanks for the help Rob!

I'll give that a try.

Regards,

Erick :)

7. charrell

charrell New Member

May 1, 2006
    Hey I guess i can still be considered a newbie but I have no idea as to what this feature is and how to go about setting it up.
    I do not have my Tivo set up for the wireless thing but I am considering it as well,are there any special deals on the wireless adapter for Tivo I felt the one thru Tivo was pricey and figured I would ask the group to see if there is anyplace on the net selling them cheaper and also more info on this podcast thing..
    Thanks all......

8. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Podcaster is part of the Home Media features of Tivo. Podcaster lets you stream your favorite podcasts to the Tivo and listen to them through your TV. There are some limitations with the implementation right now that make this a less than ideal setup for listening to podcasts. The big one is that yoiu can not, pause, rewind, or fast forward through the podcasts, which is pretty annoying for many people. One other annoyance has been that if you have a podcast that you want to listen to that isn't part of the list that Tivo offers you have had to manually enter the url on your Tivo, which can be a slow process. Podshow.com gets rid of this later annoyance, which is pretty cool.

As far as the wireless adapter for TiVo, I don't know of any special deals for the TiVo branded one, but there are a number of non-TiVo branded adapters that will work with TiVo that are cheaper. The TiVo branded one does have the advantage that it was designed for TiVo, and so it will be quite a bit faster than the non-tivo adapters. I personally use a d-link "B" adapter that I picked up on sale for $10 that is fast enough for my use.

9. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    While this is useful, I really can't use the TiVo podcaster application because of the lack of control. I just can't spend 15 minutes or an hour just sitting in front of my TV listending to a podcast. Especially since there is no way to pause or resume.

10. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...
    www.buy.com has the adapter at a great price which is much lower than Tivo or Bestbuy. :up:

11. atomicteevee

atomicteevee New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    What is the model # of the D-Link "B" adapter?