Podcast never plays?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by weymo, Dec 16, 2005.

1. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    No problems with any of the new apps for HME except Podcaster, which appears to begin the download but never seems to complete or play.
    I am behind a physical firewall; do I need to NAT something back to the TiVo?
    Is there a FAQ definitely describing all port usage?

BTW: hooked on the word game...constantly trying to outdo my wife, and she me

2. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Same problem here with PodCasts, except one. I can get one of the Music related casts to work. I called support a week ago or so and they didn't have a clue "the feature was too new to troubleshoot" I'm due to give them another call and see if they have come up with anything.

3. dkirby7

dkirby7 New Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Kansas City, KS
    Been having the same issue for the last couple of weeks (at least).

Live365.com works just fine, only Podcaster doesn't. Gets stuck on "Loading..." and then never plays.

I too am behind a physical firewall. Are there any ports that I must port forward to allow it to work properly?

4. seigex

seigex New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    I can get every "preset" podcast to work, just not URL's i enter myself. They show up but also just say "Loading..."

5. ses

ses New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    massachusetts
    Hi,
    I've been having 2 kinds of problems with the podcaster on my Tivo Series 3.

First, I get the infinite hang issues mentioned previously on several podcasts. I checked the DNS settings and they are just fine, re-DHCP'd my network settings just to be sure and the result was no change. The same podcasts are just fine with itunes. Interesting...

Second, on some podcasts (like 60 minutes or wait-wait-don't-tell-me from npr) I get a connection and total time. Within a few seconds I get the "donk" sound like trying to move past the bottom of a list with the remote, the loading spinny thing goes away and the podcast is hung with played time displaying 00:00.

The second issue is the more severe and it seems worse with V9.2a of the tivo firmware

I'd really like to get these resolved.

6. CheezWiz

CheezWiz ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    I too am seeing this behavior with my series 3.
    Many podcasts just go bonk! However, the very same podcasts play just fine from my Series 2... hmmmm.

No one else seeing this?

7. garymetz

garymetz New Member

May 20, 2009
    I have the same problem and have have not been able to get any help from Tivo Support.

8. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had the same problem for some of the manually-entered URLs too.

So, I gave up on the Podcaster application long, long ago and simply use iTunes to download podcasts on my computer and then use pyTiVo to play them back on the TiVo.

This allows me to have the additional ability to fast-forward, pause, and rewind the podcast instead of being forced to either play the entire thing or stop it and replay the entire thing again later, which is simply ludicrous.

I created this thread about the issue but never received any responses.

9. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I know the original posts in this thread are years old, but since this was brought up again I just want to say that YOU ARE RIGHT! UGH! I can't believe Tivo even put that excuse for a feature called the "podcaster" on the menu. It's absolutely useless for the reasons you've identified.

The Podcast application on Galleon works quite well for me (except on my TSN 540 tivo where there is some kind of sampling rate issue).

Galleon gives you a nice "now playing list" of your audio podcast subscriptions, so anyone wanting to have a useful podcast player on the Tivo might check that out.

Just a suggestion!