Plus 2.6.1 Unable to link to your TiVo account

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by djwilso, Apr 22, 2008.

1. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

I have a Series3 TiVo and recently got the 9.3a software. I installed Desktop 2.6.1 and installed it with no problems. At the time of installation, I was prompted to link my TiVo account, which at the time worked fine.

I requested and downloaded a bunch of video podcasts to try it out. All worked perfectly fine.

Tonight, on the TiVo I am getting an error in the video podcast request screen saying that my PC has not contacted the TiVo service in over 24 hours.

On the computer, I went to the "Link to my TiVo account" dialog and entered my login information as verified on the TiVo web site multiple times, and I am getting the error "Unable to link to your TiVo account" error repeatedly. I am able to successfully log on to the web site with no issues at the same time.

I am assuming that the issue is on the TiVo server end. Can anyone else confirm this?

I am using Windows XP Pro on the computer.

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. Geomatix

Geomatix New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Same problem here except running Vista 32 here.

I upgraded a few weeks ago to 2.6 and it was able to link then. I was having problems with auto-downloading web videos so I thought I would uninstall and reinstall Tivo Desktop Plus. I first just reinstalled version 2.6 and I then got the "unable to link to your tivo account" message. I then noticed the new version of 2.6.1 and installed it. Same thing!!

Not sure if something with the Tivo Service is just temporarily down or what? Hoping to find a solution soon.

3. fuleihan

fuleihan New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I also am getting the same error message.

Has anyone tried contacting Tivo Support.

I was able to transfer several videos - then all of a sudden - no connection. Unable to login. I also tested on the Tivo site to make sure I could login and my service is all lifetime.

I am running Vista 32bit.

Thanks

4. Geomatix

Geomatix New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Must have been just something temporarily down with the Tivo Service. I just tried it now and was able to link my account.

Still don't know if the autodownloading of web videos is fixed yet, but at least I was able to link my account. FYI, I didn't do anything, I just waited at tried later.

5. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

It's still not working for me as of 1:53pm Arizona time, but it's acting differently now. Now when I click the "next" button, it comes back almost immediately to the "Unable to link" dialog. Before, it was delaying for about 3 seconds and seemed like it was trying.

I guess I'll keep trying and will eventually contact support for assistance.

Thanks,
    Dennis

6. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess I posted too soon. Now it is working. It is displaying a dialog stating that previously another computer with the same computer name as the one that I've always used for TiVo Desktop was linked to my account, and that I will need to recreate all of my web video season passes. I think I will leave the season passes alone for now to see if that message is true or not.

Thanks,
    Dennis

7. wildjoe

wildjoe New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I can't get it to work either. Exact same as OP. Maybe the redesigned TiVo web site is to blame?

Someone at TiVo better get this working soon.

8. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Although I can logon to MyTivo using my account username and password, I can't link to the same account via the Desktop. Could they be using different severs (maybe someone accidentally kicked the power/ethernet cable off the box!).

Anyway, I am officially reporting. I can't link either as of 4/26/2008, 5:02PM PST.

9. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Here's something iteresting. Right after I posted my last reply, the Desktop can't me a little alert sounding like a steel drum note along with the message "you have linked to your account". Then for kicks, I tried it again, and it won't connect now. :(

10. Wpride33

Wpride33 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Ditto for me.

11. scottc42

scottc42 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Powers Lake, WI
    I am definitely having this problem. I log into my account just fine, but desktop is "unable to link". what a pain...

12. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Tivo Novice

Apr 24, 2008
    Chicago
    I was on the phone for 2-3 hours last night with a few TiVo reps. What they told me, after many hangups and check this, and it "should works" is... well, I was told to just wait 3 days and it should just work. Apparently there's a 3-day delay in having the Desktop 2.6.1 Plus feature work properly after being installed on a Vista machine.

I don't buy it, but I was told to light a candle, pray and wait for 3 days after it was installed and it should "just come up".

Really.
    I'm not kidding.

13. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    That server is hinkey - it'll connect one minute and not the next. Try it every now and then - it will eventually connect.

Really ;)

14. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been trying to coonect for three days now with no luck. I know my e-mail and password work. On TD I type in my e-mail and password and I get the hour glass for about a minute then it tells me I cannot connect.

15. David Lawrance

David Lawrance New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Same problem for me. Couldn't connect yesterday or today.

16. RobAtSGH

RobAtSGH New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Err... wow.

It's not a Vista problem. I've got the same thing here. Can't authenticate against mind.tivo.com, and Tivo Desktop Server dumped all my web subscriptions. Running Windows XP SP2.

17. land8432

land8432 New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    San Francisco
    Yea i'm getting the same error as you are. I re-installed my pc today and just setup tivo desktop plus. Its on their end not yours.

just an update after trying it about 20 times in a row it finally worked.

18. SkeeterTV

SkeeterTV New Member

Oct 27, 2005
    St...
    Same here... running Windows Vista

19. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Same issue here....

It gave a message to try again later....

Must be the servers....

Eccch....

--*Rob

20. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    and it won't link.....

I really hope this clears up - I'm going to want to use it later today!

--*Rob