Plex Server

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by megz1623, Mar 28, 2018.

1. megz1623

megz1623 Member

Dec 28, 2013

Advertisements

I currently have plex set up on my home network with a Roamio plus and 4 minis. All is working well.

I have just set up my MIL with a Roamio Plus and 2 minis at her house.

What I would like to know is, is there anyway to set up my plex server on her network so she could access it remotely? Or does the server have to be on the local network?

Thank you in advance!

2. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't have direct knowledge of if/how to use the Plex client on the Roamio to do this, but all other Plex clients on other streaming devices can do this. I use a Roku Plex client to access my server from another home all of the time. I can't remember if the Roamio Plex client logs into the Plex mothership or not to make this feature work. If the Roamio Plex client can't do it, then just get a Roku or other streaming device and it will definitely work. I know this may be a tall poll to climb for your MIL depending on how much complexity she is willing to deal with.

The big thing is you need to make sure the server is properly setup for remote access and the router at the server's location is setup properly. Trudge through this documentation and do what is appropriate for your specific home network: Enabling Remote Access for a Server - Plex Support

3. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    To enable additional users on Plex requires a Plex Pass (IOW, you have to pay for the software). That would allow you to set up a different user name and password for her account. However, if you give her your user ID and Password (and PIN) she will be able to authenticate with Plex.tv and then connect to your Plex server, no Plex Pass required.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    To share your Plex library with other Plex users now requires a Plex Pass subscription?

5. megz1623

megz1623 Member

Dec 28, 2013

Advertisements

Thank you for all your help, all set up! All I had to do was sign her in to my account!

6. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Just be aware that if she logs in as you, then whatever you watch will be marked as watched for her, and vice-versa. So if you are both watching the same TV series, and you watch the first 3 episodes before she does, she will see episode 4 as the next episode to be watched. To start at episode 1, she would have to go into the show's details, select the season, and then go select episode 1. And then when she finishes episode 1, her next episode on the main Plex screen will still be episode 4.

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You should not need a paid Plex Pass account for her; a free one should be enough to connect to your server (where you have a paid Plex Pass account and have published your server).

8. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    The free version allows for sharing... I just double-checked here - Plex Pass Features | Best Media Streaming Server

megz1623, I highly recommend that you create a free account for her, and then you can share your library with her.

9. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    You can send an invitation to her via this link, after you log into your Plex account:
    Plex

10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Not according to their features chart, no.

BrettStah likes this.
  11. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yep, I checked that just a few minutes ago. That would've been a big change had that been dropped from the free tier.

12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I haven't tried this, but if you do have Plex Pass, you get multiple user accounts. Perhaps this keeps separate track of watched stats...

13. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yeah, true. It does keep separate track when you have multiple users under one account. But since that costs money, I'd recommend two separate Plex accounts.