Plex on the TiVo might not be the Stupidest thing Tivo ever did

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Intheswamp, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Jan 5, 2018 #1 of 27
    Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a newbie. I'm confused. I don't have as many brain cells as I used to have...when I was twelve, maybe. I "grew up" in the 70's. My wife says I'm "simple minded". When I fart, it's an old fart. Ok. You get the picture...I guess.

And, I think I misunderstood something...

I bought my Roamio OTA this past Black Friday from Tivo. There's lots of Hydra-bashing to read and convince folks to downgrade. The option of downgrading back to pre-Hydra was there when I set the Roamio up but I figured Hydra was the "wave of the future" so I didn't do the downgrade. With Hydra, the biggest issue to me that I read about was not being able to transfer files to the Tivo from my computer. I saw where that feature could be really handy. But, I figured, eventually Tivo would fix this and life would be good. Until then I would stream stuff from apps and watch OTA programs, both live and recorded.

But, being able to watch programs saved on the computer kept appealing to me. I toyed with the idea of downgrading to whatever was before Hydra. Seriously, I'm ok with the menus, the guide, etc.,. Maybe some of these things could be better, but having never experienced the "better" I'm satisfied where I'm at. But, again, it seemed like playing programs from the computer would be nice to be able to do...

Last night I downloaded/installed/whatever Plex server on our home computer. I have things connected with hardwired Ethernet. Our Sony BluRay player has an empty app called "Media Server". I figured, "Hey!! This might connect me to the computer and I can play shows from there!!!". Well, the Sony could see the server but clicking on it brought up a "couldn't communicate" window. No soup for you!!!!!

Well, there's a Plex app on the Roamio that I couldn't figure out why it was there if files couldn't be "transferred" from computer to Tivo. I figured "Hold my beer and watch this!!!". Things get vague at this point...seems it has something to do with fleeting memories of listening to Deep Purple, a smokey room, and low lights. Anyhoooo.... I selected the Plex app on the Tivo, did the hokeypokey and eventually got the 4 letter-number device-verification code to come up on the television. I then fumbled with my phone a bit until I got the website pulled up and somehow got to the input screen and entered the code.

SHAZAMMMM!!!!! There was the test shows I'd put in a Plex server folder on the computer!!!!! I selected one of the shows and BOOOMMM!!!!!!...there's my show playing on the big screen!!!!! :D

So, I'm figuring I was just mistaken on what Hydra *couldn't* do. It seems that it is doing what I want it to do...playing programs stored on my computer along with the OTA recording and live viewing, some streaming from other apps, etc.,. I don't (in my mind) need to physically move programs to the Roamio for storage...I'm happy having them on he computer. That's another content source for me!!!

I know I'm missing something here. This is something that everybody probably knew worked and they're looking at me with a "Duuhhhh, yeAH!!!!" expression on there faces. I'm still just as confused as I was to begin with a 900-pound gorilla sitting here in the room with me and I don't see it. But shoot, man, I'm happy as a hog in a peanut field!!!!!!!!!!

Yah know, I'm yet to figure out why my teachers always noted "Doesn't pay attention well" on my report cards. ;)

2. Jan 5, 2018 #2 of 27
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Perhaps Plex should send Foggy a nice muffin basket as thanks for all the advertising.

osu1991, dlfl and krkaufman like this.
  3. Jan 5, 2018 #3 of 27
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Some people want to be able to move files off their TiVo to a computer for storage and then back to the TiVo when they want to view them. That is the function that was lost with Hydra.

To use Plex of course you have to be running the server on your computer and you have to have a file that can be streamed. Not that big a problem for most, but you can not play files transferred to a computer from a TiVo with Plex without first decrypting/converting them, which can be done by a number of free programs.

foghorn2 likes this.
  4. Jan 5, 2018 #4 of 27
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I suspect the reason your Sony device didn't show any files is that it needs DLNA support turned on in Plex server:

DLNA

If that doesn't help, I do see there is a Plex App that you can download and install after installing the Opera TV app on Sony Blu-ray players.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. Jan 5, 2018 #5 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Next step is loading some kids' content and testing access via mobile devices (smartphone or tablet), and then adding user profiles and restricting access to undesirable content.

6. Jan 5, 2018 #6 of 27
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    So you now need to download kmttg... it will allow you to download, decrypt and commercial skip content from your Tivo - placing the output into your Plex library

7. Jan 5, 2018 #7 of 27
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I didn't have to do anything for devices on my LAN that can view media servers when I installed PLEX. I think DLNA support is default?

I was able to watch Plex stuff last night when my internet was down (usually Plex requires authentication via the web) by going to the dumb file viewer on my Roku, for example. I can do that same on my Sony TV and my Sony BluRay players.

8. Jan 6, 2018 #8 of 27
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, the stupidest thing TiVo did was switch to substandard guide data provider Rovi from Tribune. (Yeah yeah Rovi bought TiVo blah blah blah).

gweempose and stile99 like this.
  9. Jan 6, 2018 #9 of 27
    Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    First thing, in no manner was my post an attempt to "advertise" for Plex. I simply found it to be something very useful to me that accomplished something that I misunderstood as not being possible with Tivo. Sorry if I turned into a walking billboard, if the post is offensive I will delete it, just let me know. o_O

Anyhoo... ;)
    Thanks for the reply, atmuscarella . Sometimes in life we bump into things that aren't the way we're used to doing them and we resist the "change". It's a natural trait of many creatures. As a newbie I still can't see the problem of not being able to send a file back to Tivo. I mean, if I've got it stored on a server and can play it from there, why go to the trouble of physically transferring it back and forth? I understand that a file downloaded from Tivo will have to be converted to be able to play from the server, but for *me* once I watch a show there is little chance that I will be watching it again...maybe years later, but by then I'll be wandering around mumbling stuff to invisible dogs and yelling at invisible kids to get out of my yard and won't remember what a recorded show is. I guess it's all specific to the person and what works for them...whether by need or desire. :) Basically I'm wanting to archive a bunch of dvds so I can clear some clutter up and maybe some home videos, too.

Thank for the feedback, Doug. I checked and DLNA was already enabled in the Plex server. Since Plex seems to be working well within Tivo I think I'll forego investigating the Sony Blu-ray player any further. The Sony has been my "go to" streamer for a few years now...it's done a good job!

Ed

10. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Damn dude, first rule of ignoring trolls is to not poke them...

Intheswamp and kpeters59 like this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It can just be a matter of preference. Some don't have an extensive archive and just transfer the videos if/when needed, or don't want to have to keep a server running; and others have voiced a preference for the TiVo's built-in playback controls.

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yet another "I can do what I want, so there are no problems." and "The only reason to not convert to Hydra is if you don't like change." post.

There are valid reasons to prefer transfer to streaming. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Change for change sake is stupid. I have yet to hear of a compelling feature in Hydra that would make me want to change.

stile99 likes this.
  13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Yep, you got me going on the Plex idea and it seems to be working out. I've checked Plex out on my iPhone and it appears to work...though to watch any longer than 1 minute it requires I purchase an app or invest in "Plex Pass". I'm still debating the expense of Plex Pass, but it is definitely on my radar.

Ok, I got kmttg and its tools downloaded and installed... Looks like there might be a lot of configuring to do. Will tackle that bull a bit later, but it looks like a good program! :)

14. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    I was wondering about whether the Plex could still provide content without the internet. Another rabbit trail for me to investigate...

No arguments with that. Guide data/info is the backbone of any sort of DVR-type box.

Well, yes, I have stated that I can pretty much do what I want to with Tivo and Hydra. But, I don't think that I've said anything such as "The only reason to not convert to Hydra is if you don't like change."

And, yes...again. I agree that there are most likely things and reasons that I don't see for wanting the 2-way transfer...I think I've somewhat stated that already. Having never experienced pre-Hydra Tivo, I've no comparison to make...my point is that Hydra and Plex, as a first-time Tivo user, are providing me with the functionality that I want. As for someone not liking or not using Hydra, that is fine with me and if it works better for them I'm happy for them.

Who knows? I might revert back to pre-Hydra one day, I'm not ruling that out. But, I'm fine with where I'm at for the time being. :)

15. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Nobody has accused you of that. If you are referring to my reply, it was definitely not in reference to you, as far as I know you don't have dozens of posts beating a dead horse. Your title seemed to be referring to his thread, and since he HAS posted dozens of times beating the dead horse, he's absolutely gotten the horse's name out there. It's a known phenomenon. He's spent so much time on it, at this point someone is bound to say "what the heck is this Plex thing I keep hearing about?", try it, and find that if you know how to use it it is indeed a useful tool, and most certainly not unique to TiVo.

Streisand effect - Wikipedia

Hence, my comment that Plex should send him a muffin basket for all the advertising. Trust me, of the two threads, yours is absolutely not the offensive one.

16. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Ok, I see where you were coming from now. Thanks for pointing it out for me. Beating a dead horse and advertising...there was an old advertising adage that stated that it didn't matter whether a person felt an advertisement was good or bad, but rather that they simply remembered the name of the product. Thanks, stile99, again for the feedback.

17. dirtsy

dirtsy Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Under the...
    Personally, I run a Plex Server on a Raspberry Pi that connects to my NAS RAID to access the media files. Always on, low power consumption...works great (on LAN...I guess I never have tried it out of home). Of course all of my archived material (old DVDs) is converted DVD quality (using the old VisualHub OSX program for consistency...I've been able to keep it functional 10-yrs after sunset!), mp4 h264, stereo...why waste the storage space to hoard movies/tv shows in 1080p, 4K, etc, when you only watch them every few years, or not at all?

ljiminez and Intheswamp like this.
  18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Then what exactly did you mean by this?
    Some of the reasons I prefer transfer have been touched on earlier - I do not wish to have to keep a server running, I like a consistent interface, and navigation within a recording is much easier.

BTW, I do not agree with the premise of the original thread. My main objection is that TiVo is slowly losing all of the features that distinguish it from other DVRs.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If we're quibbling over the premise of the thread, its main flaw, same as for the thread it's mocking, is that TiVo is being given too much credit for PLEX's availability. And TiVo relying on a third party to supply this critical functionality seems risky.

20. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    You are correct in that Tivo is getting too much credit for Plex. Plex can be had on Amazon Firesticks, Rokus, probably some Blu-ray players and on some smart-tvs. It's not a "Tivo thing", for sure. I guess I did err in giving Tivo maybe too much credit. But, my Roamio is the horse that Plex rode in on for me. :) Once I hook up a Firestick or a Roku I'll see how they work with Plex.

I have a question. With pre-Hydra platforms it kind of sounds like a Tivo box can play files residing on a networked computer without having a need for Plex or something similar. Is this so? That's probably a stupid question, but I think I've already shown I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.