Plex on the TiVo is the Stupidest thing Tivo ever did

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by foghorn2, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017 #1 of 166
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas

Advertisements

What a load of carp Plex is, its a disgrace on the TiVo and everywhere else for the matter.
    I swear this program is disguised spyware. Why the hell do you have to scan your media to play it. (with invalid tiles and file descriptions)
    The WDTV and XBMC/KODI does not need this bloatware just to view your files off a directory on a server. Now that you cant put shows on your Tivo from a server with Hydra, there is no reasonable way to play your library from a PC or NAS.

Please Ted or anyone else watching, just let the TiVo play compliant files off a shared directory or DLNA server!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    kpeters59 and V7Goose like this.
  2. Dec 13, 2017 #2 of 166
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

plex is the best tivo app next to youtube and cox ondemand I don't have the issues you are having.

slowbiscuit, MighTiVo, saeba and 3 others like this.
  3. Dec 13, 2017 #3 of 166
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I absolutely agree 100% with your evaluation of that TERRIBLE program Plex. I do not know why TiVo has always worked very hard to NOT allow their equipment to play back any native file from a computer or storage device, but in my opinion, that stupid decision has really hurt their brand and potential for expansion.

Sure, the primary purpose of TiVo has always been just a simple DVR, but now they "claim" to be a one-stop, do everything box. What a stupid joke that is. I have a 10 year old Asus box that cost less than $100 and will play virtually any format of music and video files from any storage device or networked computer; THAT is what TiVo should have implemented long ago.

4. Dec 13, 2017 #4 of 166
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I have no problems with Plex, I have several thousand files set up in Plex. Yes occasionally I have to rename something so it pulls correctly from thetvdb or themoviedb. My wdtv's collect dust most of the time, unless I'm traveling and take one with me. DLNA is not all it's cracked up to be either. My tv's have a hell of time playing anything thats on my NAS via DLNA.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    dougdingle and MighTiVo like this.
  5. Dec 13, 2017 #5 of 166
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

??? I'm having no problems with Plex and my TiVos. Since Hydra I set KMTTG up so it would move the shows to my Plex folder. And then I can easily stream them to any of my Tivos if I want. I'm only using a Corei3 Gen 4 and it has no problem streaming my recordings with Plex to a couple of my TiVos at the same time.

6. Dec 13, 2017 #6 of 166
    adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I have a library of a couple hundred ripped DVDs and, personally, I'm a big fan of Plex.
    Occasionally I have to remap a movie because it doesn't pull the correct metadata, but it's not been a big problem.
    Admittedly, I don't use plex on my roamio as much as I do on my fire TV, but I have in the past. Our kids occasionally use it on our tivo minis also. When I have used the tivo version it seems to work just as well as the other platforms.
    It sounds like plex is not designed to do what you want. Realize that Plex is NOT directly affiliated with Tivo. If you simply want to play "files" from a DLNA server or shared directory, that's not what Plex was designed to do. It is more of a multi-platform "media management" system in that it also indexes your movies so you can have a more polished experience with synopsis, trailers, cover images, ratings, cast information, etc... While I realize none of this is really "necessary", some of us enjoy having that sort of polished system that presents our movies as a "collection" rather than just a list of mp4 files with arbitrary file names. If you don't care about all that, there is no reason to put down plex because it's not an app designed for what you want. Blame tivo for not providing what you want, rather than blaming plex for not being what you want.

Yashii, MacBrian, slowbiscuit and 3 others like this.
  7. Dec 13, 2017 #7 of 166
    wblynch

wblynch Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Mission...
    TiVo = record and playback TV shows. Everything else is better on a Smart TV, Roku, Fire Stick, ChromeCast... (pick from any of 1,000)

mrsean likes this.
  8. Dec 13, 2017 #8 of 166
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What are you talking about? You only need to make sure the file names make sense IF you want art and the rest (like extras). You can put random videos in a video folder and treat them like home movies if you want, which is basically treating it like a dumb server.

PLEX does NOT scan files, just the names.

I have almost no problems with Plex. Some systems play it better than others but Tivo does just fine.

9. Dec 13, 2017 #9 of 166
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I does scan them , and even makes tiles out of them. what are you talking about?
    Its a complete mess, worst media software/server I've ever tried.

10. Dec 13, 2017 #10 of 166
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You must be using a different PLEX than I am. The one I use is certainly not a mess. And it's extremely easy to use.

eherberg likes this.
  11. Dec 13, 2017 #11 of 166
    adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I agree.
    In most cases, if I add an unrecognized video it simply doesn't show any artwork or metadata.
    Occasionally if it is an actual movie and the file name is ambiguous, it will match it to the wrong version or sequel or something, but I normally don't have much of a problem.
    My 8 year old uses it regularly and doesnt have any problem with it. She used to use "My Movies" with windows media center prior to me transitioning our library over to plex a few years back. Both opperate on similar principles but to me it seems like adding a movie in plex is easier.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I seem to remember unrecognized videos showing a thumbnail automatically pulled from the video itself in the place of the cover image.

12. Dec 13, 2017 #12 of 166
    cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    You can disable generate chapter and video preview thumbnails. Just go to settings > server > library

If you don't want to rename your files, just add the folder as "Other Videos".

Just follow the naming conventions, if you want to have a nice pretty library of TV shows and movies with metadata. It'll take some time, but not too bad if you use a renaming macro app.

The Plex server program is free. Only gripe is that it's limited to 720p 4 Mbps bitrate on Roamios, but that's a limitation of the TiVo hardware. Works great on my Apple TV gen 4.

13. Dec 13, 2017 #13 of 166
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    PLEX is a seriously good, useful utility to have accessible on a device like TiVo. PLEX is not for everyone. It requires some knowledge to set up and use properly. I have about 800 movies, 500 short films, and 13,000 TV episodes from about 560 different series indexed and accessible to play via PLEX. But you can get going pretty quickly with it if you're willing to read a bit first, especially over at the PLEX user forums, to learn how best to arrange your files, depending on what exactly you want to be able to do.

MighTiVo likes this.
  14. Dec 13, 2017 #14 of 166
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Why do you have to rename it they way it wants it, its already named (as the file name) the way it should be, like I said, utter garbage.

If I use Kodi on the HTPC, no issues, its all there, you look at the file name, you choose it, it plays it.
    Plex cant even do ISO's. Even windows media player can play an ISO.

Plex: Still Sucks

V7Goose likes this.
  15. Dec 13, 2017 #15 of 166
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Because PLEX is trying to connect a vast amount of metadata to each of your files. If you don't want it to do that, you need to configure the library differently so that it knows it's not such a file that has external metadata. Like I said, you need to be willing to read the instructions a bit before using it.

16. Dec 13, 2017 #16 of 166
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I did, I know what Im doing, it still sucks, It bloated crapware!

17. Dec 13, 2017 #17 of 166
    dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Well, considering what you're complaining about, you obviously didn't do so before you started, and either still don't really have it set up properly, or you're just venting and we're all wasting our time thinking you perhaps wanted some help.

18. Dec 13, 2017 #18 of 166
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Never had issues with Plex on Tivo. I use it almost daily.

jrtroo likes this.
  19. Dec 13, 2017 #19 of 166
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Lets just say even if Plex is great and the best thing in the world and magnificent, but you have to name things to its ways and make all kinds of changes to the settings to make pretty and accurate tiles on your screen of your thousands of videos, whys is such a cumbersome finicky piece of software, which most of you claim it is, on the Tivo?

Such software does not belong on the Tivo, maybe on a Roku, but NOT ON A TIVO!! Thus the tile of this thread and the plea for Tivo to get us something as good and easy as all the other apps they offer!!

20. Dec 13, 2017 #20 of 166
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Exactly, you buy a Tivo because if it simple to use interface, so now theres an app that is the exact opposite in it. I could just see a Best Buy or cable customer tinkering with this carp and getting frustrated and even returning it.

Get rid of it or hide it, and get Tivo something like what V7Goose mentions: "play virtually any format of music and video files from any storage device or networked computer"

Plex: Still Sucks

V7Goose likes this.