Plex is here-But other applications removed

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bwhitney, Jun 8, 2015.

1. bwhitney

bwhitney Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Kearneysvill...

Advertisements

All the news about Plex has distracted from the fact Tivo arbitrarily removed several applications such as the games, picassa, and others.

Why can't Tivo ever do anything right? They fix or add features users wait years for, and remove applications that finally work without so much as an email notice describing the update with an opt-out capability.

I am very invested in Tivo, have cut cable, but their unilateral actions are now having me considering dumping them altogether and going with other OTA DVR solutions.:mad:

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They seem to be dumping all the old HME apps. There are two types of apps TiVo offers(ed). The original way they did is was that the apps themselves were hosted on a server and only the basic display and navigation happened on the TiVo itself. It was sorta like having a Remote Desktop into the app. This was called HME. It worked OK but was limited in functionality and performance was dependent on the speed of the network connection. Starting with the Premiere they started allowing native apps. Originally they were Flash based, but recently they transitioned to HTML5 instead, which open up the platform a lot more and is why we're seeing more and more long requested functionality show up on TiVo. However in the process they seem to be getting rid of the old HME apps. Perhaps for consistency (they were all SD) or perhaps because they no longer want to support and host them. Picassa might be the exception to that though. I think it might have been a Flash app. However Google recently announced Google Photos, which will replace Picassa, so maybe we'll see an app for that pop up soon to replace the Picassa app.