Plex DVR is here!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Aero 1, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1 of 73
    Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007

Advertisements

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/1/12747590/plex-dvr-HDHomeRun-OTA-recording

2. Sep 1, 2016 #2 of 73
    Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #3 of 73
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I will download the beta and try it out. This is a pretty interesting option for OTA users.

No live tv yet...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. Sep 1, 2016 #4 of 73
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Well it looks like one of Tivo's partners is now a competitor of sorts. I love my Tivos and am not going to run out and buy a HD Home Run just to give this a try but nice to know other solutions are coming on board. I can see this as a possible replacement if Tivo ever failed or for folks now cutting the cord.

5. Sep 1, 2016 #5 of 73
    Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007

Advertisements

Set up was a breeze and it allows you to remux the .ts file to .mkv or transcode it to h264 while it records. Program Guide by Gracenote is very complete and goes out two weeks. Its "massaged" by Plex to offer suggestions, upcoming shows and even shows that will air soon that you have in your library.

Add MCEBuddy to this and you have a nice DVR that will cut out commercials.

6. Sep 1, 2016 #6 of 73
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    How does this exactly work if no live tv, and how can it compete with Roamio OTA (or Bolt)? I don't get it....

7. Sep 1, 2016 #7 of 73
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    PLEX? that garbage again. Worst buggy program ever. Wont touch it with a Anthony Wiener sized pole.

8. Sep 1, 2016 #8 of 73
    reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Looks like the HDHomeRun Prime is supported by Plex too which takes a cablecard.

9. Sep 1, 2016 #9 of 73
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    But no cci byte-crippled channels. The modified Tivo model HD is still the only fully-functional DVR available as far as I know (or the original s3 if you don't have mpeg4 channels).

10. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I just learned about this via Engadget. The article there notes:

Plex's DVR offering is launching in beta today, and it'll get an official release in a few months. You'll eventually be able to power it from NVIDIA's Shield set-top box, which got the ability to run Plex servers back in June.

This is pretty exciting. As you may know, the NVIDIA Shield Android TV is a "one box" solution for Plex, meaning that it can act as the Plex Media Server (no separate PC required) while also acting as a Plex client with the normal endpoint UI. I think it's the cheapest total Plex solution available.

What is even more interesting about running Plex DVR on the Shield is that Google has built native DVR support into the new version of Android TV (7.0 Nougat) and into the upcoming version of their Live Channels app, which presents a traditional grid-style TV listings UI that combines TV channels from connected tuners (OTA or CableCARD, like the ones that Plex DVR will work with) as well as live streaming internet channels. Live Channels will soon gain the ability to schedule, play and delete recordings of shows selected from its native program grid. The thing about Live Channels, though, is that it's merely a front-end UI that links to underlying apps that actually do the work. There has to be an app that can feed it the live video streams from the connected tuners -- this is already possible with Silicon Dust tuners thanks to an app from that company. For Live Channels to serve as a DVR controller, there would also have to be an app that actually provides the underlying DVR recording engine -- I think Plex will eventually do this.

I'll bet that the NVIDIA Shield Android TV will be one of the most popular platforms for Plex DVR and, once it gets out of beta, Plex will enable their Android TV app to "plug into" the hooks provided by Google in the Live Channels app so that viewers can, if they wish, use Live Channels rather than, or in addition to, the Plex app for all their TV viewing, live and recorded.

So hopefully we'll have a system that offers full DVR capabilities with Gracenote data, using a traditional grid-style program guide, with ongoing service fees included into the price of a Plex Pass ($40/year, $5/month, $150/lifetime). All on the same system as a robust streaming app platform, all tied together with universal voice search, systemwide viewing recommendations, and picture-in-picture. (Oh, and games too.)

11. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    I agree that the Plex app for TiVo is buggy and often sluggish to navigate. But I don't see those problems at all when dealing with Plex on my Mac, either through the web interface for Plex Media Server or through the Plex Home Theater app for viewing content. The Plex Home Theater app on my several years-old iMac runs extremely smoothly and has a much slicker UI than the Plex app for TiVo.

My guess is that Plex for TiVo is as bad as it is because of TiVo's crappy HTML5 app platform and likely because Plex doesn't spend a lot of time working on their TiVo app when it probably has one of the smallest user bases of all the various platforms they support.

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Which begs the question......will and if so, how well will the Plex DVR app work on a tivo? It could be an interesting way to get those OTA stations that aren't included in your cable plan onto your TiVo.

13. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    you dont because plex doesnt do live tv, its only a recording engine. there is no plex dvr app and there is certainly no way to send ota channels to a tivo that are not part of your package.

all recordings are done and managed server side, once recorded, they show up in your plex library and available to all plex clients. they say that they will add dvr controls to clients in the future.

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I can't imagine the Plex DVR app will ever work on a TiVo. If it works well on a PC, it might be better than other PC DVRs for OTA and cable, that is about all I would expect.

15. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I do that with Lifetime OTA Roamio on the same network as a Roamio Basic and Bolt on cable cards.

16. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    From my understanding, if you can load the beta of Plex Media Server that includes Plex DVR on whatever machine you're using as your server, then your recordings should automatically show up in whatever versions of the Plex client app you're currently using, including the Plex app for TiVo.

I wish I had a Silicon Dust tuner on hand, I'd pay $5 for a one-month Plex Pass so that I could load it up on my Mac and give it a spin. However, I don't.

17. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I believe this is just another iteration of the SiliconDust HDHR DVR app ported to another platform. I'm pretty sure the guide data format is going to suck because SD won't license the grid-style guide from Rovi, who holds the patents and copyrights. The Nvidia Shield already has the HDHR DVR app incorporated, IIRC.

SD needs to stop dicking around with other platforms and get DRM recording fixed first. This is by far the most important aspect of the DVR app that Kickstarter contributors want the most. The rest is mostly BS and not a top priority.

I personally invested $160 for the Kickstarter campaign as well as an additional four years of program guide data, which I will never use. The app works, but the UI is horrible and completely unintuitive. This was back when I was looking for an alternative to WMC. I abandoned my quest when EPG123 was introduced and couldn't be happier.

18. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Your belief is totally wrong, this is not SD's plex kickstarter goal. Plex created this in house, licensed Gracenote guide data on their own and present it their own way. They are only using the SD HDHR api's to hook into the hardware.

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If that's the case then they will never be capable of getting protected CableCARD channels. Last time I looked at the API there was no way to access protected channels.

Could be a decent competitor to something like Tablo though.

20. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    not true i think. its been my understanding that its the software doing the playback is what contains the Cablelabs license in order to play and record DRM'd channels. thats why Microsoft was the only platform besided Tivo to enable DRM recordings and it was able to record from Ceton, ATI, etc.

isnt that correct? if its correct, Plex would have to get a cablelabs license, not SD.