Plex and TiVo - Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bob Louder, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. May 1, 2018 #1 of 10
    Bob Louder

Bob Louder New Member

May 1, 2018

Advertisements

I've installed the Plex Media Server on a Windows 7 SP1 PC. I've successfully added Photos and Music Libraries to the Plex Media Server. Both Photos and Music show up in the PLEX app on my TiVo Premiere.

When I create a Library for TiVo movies or videos, the Plex Media Server states "There are no items in this Library". TiVo Phone Support stated that the TiVo PLEX app only works for Photos and Music. Is that correct?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. May 1, 2018 #2 of 10
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No. I am on win 10 but I have a ton of movies and tv shows I watch via TiVo and plex. If the server is not finding them, the app won’t. Make sure you name them well. For example, Princess Bride should be

The princess bride.<file ext> where file extension is the file type.

Anything you can see on the plex web app on the server should show up on clients. They may not all play but most should.

3. May 1, 2018 #3 of 10
    Bob Louder

Bob Louder New Member

May 1, 2018
    Thanks... that's what I thought re: playing video/movies.

So, for Tivo TV show, rename file to: NameOfTvShow.tivo? That didn't work for me. I create a media folder under My Documents just for Plex. Maybe there is something in the way I am setting up the Folder.

4. May 1, 2018 #4 of 10
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    You have to DECRYPT the file for Plex to play it. [.mpg or .ts]

What program are you using to transfer the files from your TiVo unit to your PC / NAS?

What model TiVo unit do you have? [Look in System Information and give the beginning of your TSN]

5. May 1, 2018 #5 of 10
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL

Advertisements

Plex can't handle .TiVo files. You'll need to convert them to something else (.mpg, .mp4, etc.) first.

6. May 1, 2018 #6 of 10
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Oops! :oops:

Didn't 'catch' the Premiere info the first time - can a Premiere even play a Plex video? A Roamio can barely play 720p @ 4Mbps (i.e. everything HD needs to be transcoded on-the-fly) so I switched to Streambaby. :thumbsup:

7. May 1, 2018 #7 of 10
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Could be a problem but his plex server isn’t recognizing the file because it is a TiVo file.

ETA: I don’t see anything about premiere not being able to play video. The tech note does say 20.4.7a or higher is needed but that is for plex to work at all.

(The transcoding is done on the server and can be done ahead of time.)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. May 1, 2018 #8 of 10
    Bob Louder

Bob Louder New Member

May 1, 2018
    Thanks for the replies. Stupid me thought maybe, just maybe, since TiVo had a partnership with Plex that the Codecs that TiVo included with Tivo Desktop ... or something they created since then ... would be integrated.

I moved a .mp4 file that I had converted from a .tivo file a while back that it immediately saw and played in Internet Explorer, the browser I was using for Plex Media Server. So, it will work with Win 7 / TiVo Premiere. This doesn't really help me for what I was hoping it might do/be ... a modern interface that I could organize my TiVo's with, as well as my other mdeia.

Thanks for the replies.

9. May 2, 2018 #9 of 10
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Check out the TiVoToGo.bundle channel/plug-in for Plex. It's been around for a while but recently came to my attention (see this thread). I've been tinkering with it and it works pretty well for streaming content recorded on your TiVo to a Plex device (like the app on your phone), or downloading (and decrypting) for later playback through Plex. My fork is here:

jradwan/TiVoToGo.bundle

ke3ju likes this.
  10. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You can set up the conversion from TiVo to mp4 to be automatic. Besides, even if a TiVo could play the file from Plex, it doesn’t mean anyth8ng else could without serious horsepower for on the fly transcoding.