Please (insert your diety here) STOP THE REPEATS!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mabu, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Mabu

Mabu New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    I'm sure this is a tired thread but please help me... How do I stop the stupid re-rerecoding of episodes in my season pass that I've already recorded? There must be some parameter where I can increase the timeframe in which Tivo thinks I haven't already watched a show? I'm not quite completely A.D.D. yet from TV and as a result, I find it really annoying and offensive that this unit continues to re-record episodes that it has already recorded.

Who do I blow/threaten/beat-up so that this can be fixed. I'm sure this is a recurring theme but screw it... it's an important issue that still does not appear to be part of the basic setup and I'm going to sell all my TIVO stock if this sh*t cannot be fixed....

help!!

2. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    Well, the easiest way would be to set your season passes to record "first run only". This way you will only get new episodes.

I don't do that normally, as I'm a little anal about missing something I might have missed in the past. I will scan my To-do list every couple of days and delete things that I have already seen. It only takes a couple of minutes and I know I won't miss something. I know a lot of people don't want to do that, but I like to know if I am going to miss something.

Not real sure why this is offensive :confused:

3. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    The problem may be in the guide data, and out of Tivo's control. Tivo won't record the same ep within 28 days, IIRC, unless there's generic guide data provided from the network.

4. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Can you let us know which program you're having a problem with?

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And are you using season passes or wishlists?

6. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Personally I have lots of problems with BBC America. Often shows don't have episode titles in the guide data and each new episode is repeated 4 or 5 times during the week. I relaize it's not Tivo's fault but it would be nice to know who to complain to.

As to the OP's comments I think they are complaining that retaining data on shows that have been recorded and deleted for 28 days is too short. And I'd certainly vote for an option to retain indefinetly data on all episodes recorded for a Season Pass. If/When the option to manipulate To Do List is added to HME I may try and write something myself.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well a lot of calm replies so I will try as well.

I think the OP means that the system default of 28 days is not long enough.

I had this with Stargate SG-1. I Got my TiVo well into the 4th year of SG1 and set it to record repeats as well so I could cacth up on past shows. For a while it was great but as I got shows watched over the next 90 days, some of the repeats were shows I had watched 40 days ago adn did not want to see again.

For me I just deleted them, but as I got down to maybe 15 shows I had no seen I had to make a list to check against and do a lot more maintenance type work to make sure I got them.

in a case like that it would have been a really great feature if I could go to that Stargate SG1 season pass and set it to keep track for the last 120 days and not re-record an episode but still record repeats that had not been recorded already.

8. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I forget

Does 'first run only' only record new episodes period, or just new to you?

So if i did seinfeld, first run only, would I get any?

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you would not get any. It is the first time that episode airs. (though for priority scheduling of the season pass manager - any show within a week of first air date is considered first run - so things like the apprentice that repeats during the same week can get shuffled around some)

10. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Ok thats what I thought :) thanks

11. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Set manual recordings by time and channel - problem solved

12. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Another thing is First Run Only records Generic episode listings; like when they do a South Park Marathon without detailing the episodes, you can get 30 recordings!

13. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I confirmed this with the TiVoDataGuy -- you would get NO shows EXCEPT for those that used the generic program record. First Run Only means the first broadcast.

For most users, I think our existing approach does cover the main scenarios:

* If you are watching a new show (such as Prison Break) and set it to First Run Only, and you watch all the shows, you'll never see any repeats, you'll see every show, and no duplicates will ever be recorded.

* If you are watching an older show that has multiple airings of repeats in the last 28 days (such as the M*A*S*H* reruns on the Hallmark channel or the Family Guy reruns on The Cartoon Network's Adult Swim) and get a regular Season Pass, you won't see any duplicate recordings in 28 days, but eventually you'll cycle through and start seeing repeats. Usually that's the case only after you've seen all the episodes, since in many cases these reruns go in order.

* For other situations, you can check your To Do list and remove the ones that you've already seen.

I can see why someone might want a longer window -- 120 days or 365 days -- for the rare situation where there are still some shows you haven't seen that are likely to air, and the network showing the reruns shows them in a random order. I don't think that scenario is too common.

Keeping the database of viewed programs for longer than 28 days does pose issues; it'll cause performance problems for the scheduler is the main issue that comes to mind.

Nonetheless, like any suggestion on the Suggestion forum, this is something that we'll consider for the future. I've forwarded this thread to the relevant parties.

14. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Another situation is an actor wishlist. Older Movies are often repeated regularly for several months at a time.

I can appreciate the performance implications of the change, but I wouldn't necessarily want history for all programs going out that far, just selected SP's and ARWL's. So the logic could be if match to SP, or WL check SP or WL history.

15. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    More specifically, it means within 2 weeks of the First Aired Date. So if a show airs on 12/15/2005 but there is a conflict and it isn't recorded, and it repeats on 12/27/2005, the TiVo will still record it as 'First Run'. But if it repeats in January, it won't record even though it was never recorded before, because it is too late.

So it doesn't have to be the very first airing, period, but within the window.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, this is something that I would pay a one time fee for (and a feature I and others have mentioned it many times, including on the Usenet group).

I'd absolutely LOVE it if I could tell the Tivo that I have watched a particular episode and it wouldn't re-record that episode ever. Because of missed endings or maybe a last minute schedule change, I'd have to be able to say "don't add to the list of shows I've seen" too -- none of that "if you've seen 5 minutes into the show it's marked seen" stuff.

That way I could easily keep track of which episodes I've seen. Heck, even being able to keep track of episodes that the Tivo saw in the schedule and let me look over the list (instead of going to epguides.com) and mark OTHERS as having seen, that'd be even extra.. But even just being able to tell the Tivo I have seen particular episodes, forever, would be worth $$ to me.

17. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Since I'm the guy who proposed that particular behavior, I guess I should have mentioned that. :)

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

And a great idea that I referenced above as well. How you were physic enough to know Donald trump would be grand enough to grace us with multiple showings of the same "The Apprentice" in a two week period we may never know but it is a really good device for making the Season Pass priority list work so well. :up:

As for the 28 days, I can see the load on that Season Pass scheduler would go up with each added day. I always assummed 28 was some number that was arrived at by tweaking things to optimize performance.

Please pass on as well that the HME app idea to do this extended dates functionality is a good way to move the load off the TiVo and opens up even better functionality possibilities. In my exception of the Stargate-SG1 where I started recording well into the 4th year of the show - If I could have just entered a list of spisodes to watch for and then record it would have been great!

plus there is the added beauty of 3rd parties can work out all the devilish details of that part of the interface. So I would vote for TiVo to concentrate on the very heavy lifting part of opening up the Season pass and to do list DVR functionality to HME and then give us the APIs to do all this "exception type" feature adds.

Thanks as always for listening and allowing us this feedback to the product :)

19. Y-ASK

Y-ASK Why Ask?

Aug 17, 2001
    Leonardtown,...
    Now if someone could please fix the Networks. I'm ready for a new Lost episode and a new Surface episode would be nice as well! Did I forget to mention CSI? I need a new one of those as well.

Y-ASK

20. DickK

DickK New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Northern...
    True if I recognize it, but that's not always the case.

Consider this a vote for a longer window. I don't find this to be an uncommon scenario at all.