Please help with married drive problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Kershek, May 7, 2007.

1. Kershek

Kershek Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Mesa, AZ

Advertisements

I have a Series 2 60GB that I married with a 160GB on 6/14/03. Back then, I did a TiVo backup right before adding the drive and burned the .bak file onto a CD.

The 60GB drive died and won't even spin up. Upon examining the drives, I noticed the 160GB one was set to Master and the 60GB drive was set to Slave. I don't really remember changing that at the time, but it was 4 years ago, so hey.

Anyways, I'm having this dilemma where it will be a pain for me to get that .bak file onto a hard drive with FAT, as all of mine are NTFS. I can't use the CD with the .bak file, since I need the CD for the MFS Tools disk.

I was hoping that I could put in the 160GB drive into the TiVo by itself and perhaps do a clear of programs and go merrily along. Well, it gets to "almost there" and reboots.

Is there a way to "fix" the 160GB drive so that I can still use it, or am I relegated to having to restore it from the 2003 .bak file that I have? Any other suggestions?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I do not know if there is any way to "Divorce" the two it might be done by editing the mtab and fstab files.

I do know that the NTFS partition can be mounted read only with MFSTools2 CD and I think the MFSLive CD even allows mounting NTFS R/W.

3. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    mfslive beta has a divorce program called mfssplit
    All recordings on B will be lost and some on A drive that spans into B drive.
    let me know if you want try it.

4. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    If only need to read the backup, most of the boot CDs have support for reading NTFS.

5. Kershek

Kershek Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Mesa, AZ

Advertisements

Yes, I would like to try it.

6. alex2000

alex2000 New Member

May 8, 2007
    I've just got the exact same problem with my Series2. The original 40GB drive is dead, and the 160GB added and married is still ok.

After a few hours worth of research, I decided to try InstantCake for Series2 ($20 download from DVRUpgrade com), which seems to be the easiest way to get my Tivo up and running in a short time.

Downloaded the ISO image, burned it to a CD-R, booted from the CD, followed instruction from the CD to burn Tivo image (included in the CD) to that 160GB (overwrites everything), put the hard drive back into Tivo, and done!

My Tivo is up and running again .

I'm still thinking about adding another drive to this Tivo, as I've just lost 40GB. I plan to do that using the same InstantCake, after I can decide which drive I'm going to buy.

--Alex