Please Help Stuck in guided set up but unplugging and starting again not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dogbliss, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dogbliss

dogbliss New Member

May 24, 2002
    Channel...

Advertisements

I moved my series2 40hour tivo to another room and connect it to a TV without a cable box but has cable. So, I get it all set up, have it download all the info etc and then once it is all set up I go to change the channels and i am not able to.

Then I remember that it was set up for a cable box before and now it is only connected to the cable without the box. So I have to go into a guided set up to reset the Tivo for cable (no box)

I follow it through, zip code, questions about call waiting, it calls up and
    downloads info (which I had done initially when I set it up) and then it asks me if certain channels are numbered correctly yada yada, and then it says it needs to call the local number and download the local information

THATS where the problem is

It stays frozen on preparing to connect. It just stays there saying preparing. It never moves down to connecting........ phone lines are fine. 30 minutes nothing.

I decide to unplug tivo and try it again. ( Did this 4 seperate times, by the way) Still same thing. It takes me through the whole set up again and then stays is frozen again in the same place.

The clincher is I can not get out of it at all . It wont let me watch tv. When I unplug it and plug it back in it goes back to the guided setup asking for my zip code. It is a vicious cycle. It is unusable.

Did my Tivo mysteriously decide to just have a bipolar episode and get depressed? Is it the hard drive? Am I doomed to saying BYE BYE to my 40hour Tivo?

What happened??? What do I do now?? Please help.

Thank You kindly

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Was it hooked up to the phone line in the other room? Can you take it back into the other room and make it work? If so, then there is probably a glitch in the phone connection in the new room.

3. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Once you're in Guided Setup, you cannot get out except by completing the setup. So stop rebooting it.

I would try funtoupgrade's suggestion first; there may be something amiss with the phone connection in the new room. Otherwise, try inputting a zip code of 00000, which will run a "minimal" setup, and then try again. It could be a database corruption.

4. dogbliss

dogbliss New Member

May 24, 2002
    Channel...
    i will try both when i get home tonight. Thanks for the info. Keeping my fingers crossed