Please Help Newbie

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tommiet, May 26, 2016.

1. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    After years of bad DVR's.. I'm back.....

Getting a Premiere XL4 with lifetime and 3 mini's this week. But I still need another unit and was wondering about a Tivo Roamio pro (I wanted the six tuners.) I know all the bad news about the programming cost, and with about zero chance of a 6 channel Bolt, I think this may be my best best. The best price for new I can find is on the Tivo website. Any reason not to buy and or other options. I may go the 4 turner route if I get bad news here....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005

Thank you Joe.....

Sorry... "programming cost" = guide listing... MY BAD....

I really wish I would have jumped on a BOLT last month, but did not see the end of the free year coming. I've read and read and some folks say the Roamio is at end of its life and I really don't want to spend $500.00 and find out I won't be getting any updates.. I may just have to go with the BOLT and pay the monthly fee.

I've been using a Dish network DRV for years (Hopper2,) and have had no issues The cost is getting too high and I was never happy paying $24.00 a month to use my OWN hardware. Dish offered to drop my bill $60.00 a month to stay (after 13 years.)

The last 2 Tivo's I had gave me zero issues.WAY LONG AGO.... After I figured the GUI out. As it was very easy to use, I never had to ask for help and it's really a friendly device. I got a killer deal on the lifetime hardware from a friend that's moving to an area with no cable so I'm ready to learn again.

Who knows... If my TIVO runs great.. you may not hear back from me for another 10 years! Just like last time......

Thanks for the quick response Joe.. Much appreciated.

Other opinions welcome... Kick me for leaving the last time is ok too.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Wise thing to do is watch TiVo.com and this forum. Wait for the right time and price. I waited for the all-in Roamio for $400 and jumped on it. If you're patient, good things will happen.

I still get updates to the software on my two Premieres. I'm not especially concerned. Of course, we have Rovi to look at, so the future isn't what it used to be.

5. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I think that is good advice.. I'll hang on and see what happens....

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So are you moving to cable or OTA as the new TiVo's won't work with Dish (including the Premiere)?

Scott

7. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Is that for a 4 tuner OTA?

Was the OP going for OTA or cable? If cable that deal won't apply.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just the basic Roamio. Another basic Roamio that was monthly I changed to all-in before the rate hike also. This was last year. Maybe this fall things will get better. If the merger does go through, I would keep my eye out for some chaos.

If I had it to do all over, I'd get a Plus.