Please Help: Issue With Older TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Chris_Pesqueira, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Chris_Pesqueira

Chris_Pesqueira New Member

Sep 30, 2011
    I appreciate your taking the time to check out this post - I signed up out of a mini-panic. I have a TiVo Series 2 that I purchased in September 2004, so it has seen the battles. Besides loving TiVo (as compared to the horrible, horrible interface that Cablevision provides), I haven't been able to upgrade my TiVo or cable box, because if you upgrade the cable box, you can't use the TiVo anymore, and vice versa. Cablevision has basically made it so that you can't use TiVo unless you're using antiquated equipment, which is still fine with me. I'd rather have a 7+ year-old TiVo than any current Cablevision box. We have 4 other Cablevision DVR's in the house - but for all my searching, organization, etc., I always relied on my TiVo.

I came home last night from being on the road a few days. Everything was fine - then there was a power surge at around 4am (?). The cable box and the TiVo reset and I was able to finish watching a program. When I was attempting to clear some programs out, the system got very slow and started skipping around and the like, and the TiVo reset, which obviously happens every now and then. However, this time it went to the gray "Powering Up" screen to the orange "Almost There" screen and did not progress. It will sit on the orange screen for a while, and then try to power up again to no avail, go back to orange, and back to gray again.

Besides being disappointed that I probably won't be able to use TiVo again, I lost my list of season passes, searches, etc. Obviously I can mentally re-create the few shows I watch daily and extrapolate over the week, but with the way television is now, there is the winter season, the summer season, the off season - so there are new shows starting and ending almost weekly that I had programmed in there that my withering mind won't be able to remember all of. I'm kicking myself now for not having a backup list.

Is there any advice on at the minimum getting back to my season pass screen, now playing, search, etc., so that I can extract info? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks --- Chris

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You can log on to Tivo.com, login to your account and you can access your season passes in Find TV Shows section-->Season Pass Manager.

3. Chris_Pesqueira

Sep 30, 2011
    I appreciate that! Unfortunately, I had to "opt-in" on the privacy policy and they said it could take 24 hours to upload. Is this too late? Since I wasn't opted-in, am I out of luck?

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I think you're out of luck if you haven't previously used tivo.com to view your Tivo NPL and recordings.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Is this TiVo lifetime or monthly?

6. Chris_Pesqueira

Sep 30, 2011
    I've been paying monthly for 7+ years - if only I had known they make such a quality product... lol.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Then I would suggest getting a new TiVo. A TiVo 3, TiVo HD, or TiVo Premiere. You would be able to record 2 things at the same time and scrap the Cablevision box. The monthly charge for TiVo service for a Premiere is $20 vs. $12.95 for the other two. They all use CableCARD, thus no need for separate box. In fact, they cannot use a STB. The TiVo 3 needs two, the first one will be "free" while Cablevision would probably charge you a monthly fee for the second one. The other two only need one. You would also qualify for a "customer owned equipment" credit. The only downside is - no VOD.

Your current TiVo's hard drive is fried. Replacing it would probably cost you as much or more than a used "new" TiVo.

Whatever you do, you should also buy a small UPS and put the TiVo on it.

8. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    But with a S2 dual-tuner, S3, or S3HD, you can connect to Amazon VOD. That's what I did when I traded in my cablebox for a Tivo CableCard.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'd try replacing the power supply, which can be found on ebay for $15-$30 dollars.