Please enter a Valid Email Address

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by aspexil, Jun 27, 2018.

1. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015

Advertisements

Tried to log into my account on my laptop and got the following error message:

Please enter a Valid Email Address

I cut and paste my information from Password Safe. My email address is on gmail and has a plus sign in the username before the at sign. I created my account back in 2015. How can I get logged in?!!? I have never had an issue logging into my account until today.

This is logging in from my computer.

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Maybe a stupid question but after pasting in your email did you try typing a character and then immediately backspacing over it?
    I've seen some input validation code that's triggered specifically typing into the text field; so when you paste or auto-fill an email address the code isn't triggered, assumes the field is still blank and gives you a spurious warning.

3. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    As they say never a stupid question!

Tried it typing a character then backspace then tried backspace over the 'm' in com and typing in the 'm' still complains about a valid email address. Sigh.

Going to try and type the whole user name in next.

4. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Also did not work.

Tried the forgot password page and it accepted my request. Waiting on the new password but I doubt that will help much.

5. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015

Advertisements

And it is not accepting the new temporary password for the change password page. Argh.

6. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I complained about the change when it first happened. Their response was to reset my password, which had nothing to do with the issue. After a few replies and finally getting annoyed, I got a response that actually answered my question.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. However, this is the new update on the TiVo website and our Engineering team can only modify this. You can place a feedback on this link: Website Feedback. Have a great day and please do take care of yourself!

I've left feedback a few times and haven't heard back.

7. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Support did offer to change my email address. I've been holding out to see if they fix the site, but they won't, so I should just take them up on the offer.

8. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    This is infuriating. I use the + sign in my emails to keep userids unique at different websites.

9. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    I filled out the feedback form. What a ridiculous change. Why fix something that ain't broke. Sigh.

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Support for + in email addresses is not universal. But since you are on Gmail, note that Gmail ignores dots in the username so you could create a special one that way.

11. aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Well it was working up until today since I joined back in 2015. And their system was still able to send change password emails to the email with the + sign in it. It just couldn't handle it in the login or change password use cases. I guess I can try and mess with additional dots in my user name. I had to resort to a chat session as it wasn't working with emails as I couldn't access my account as I couldn't log in. They changed my email without the + and trailing info. But to take a login that was working and then break it years later is insanity. I'm just glad I wasn't traveling on business overseas and found out I couldn't access my account anymore. But I guess that is what Sling is for.