Please Educate me on Star Trek Enterprise on HDNET

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by trausch, Jul 31, 2007.

1. trausch

trausch New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    I really got into Star Trek Enterprise again. I just got done with the Star Trek Voyager on Spike. It was a joy watching a new episode voyager every night for 3 months and I was planning on doing the same with Enterprise. However, after three weeks of watching they started back again at Season 1. It seems HDNET is just looping the first two seasons of Enterprise over and over again. Anyone know what is going on?

2. AccidenT

AccidenT New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    South...
    HDNet is about 2/3 of the way through the 2nd season. Mondays at 9:00 Eastern are when they show the episodes that haven't been shown on HDNEt before.

They've also started back at the beginning, showing one episode every day at 1:00. I have to manually remove the 1:00 episodes from the To Do list because it has (obviously) been more than 29 days since they were first shown on HDNet.

3. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    At what point did the show do a kind of reboot of the timeline? I know I read something about that. I'm watching many of the episodes for the first time in now.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No, nothing like that occurred.

5. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I must have been completely mistaken. I really thought that at some point the series did kind of a reboot to fix what fans had been complaining about. The last series from ST that I watched on a regular basis was DS9 so it's been a while. I could be confusing my shows.

6. trausch

trausch New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    This seams to explain the behavior I have observed. I guess I will abandon HDNET and switch to blockbuster online. Way to go HDNET. You now have one less person fast forwarding through your commercials.

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    For season four of Enterprise, they brought in new showrunner Manny Coto, who then brought in Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens (prominent Star Trek novel authors) as script supervisors. At about the same time, Brannon Braga and Rick Berman pretty much stepped out of the picture.

As a result of these changes, many fans of the show mentioned that they felt the quality of the show improve considerably. There was less dependence on the cheap gimmicks that were a trademark of latter Berman/Braga Star Trek, and there was more recognition of Star Trek canon within the writing. Nothing substantial changed about the show, but it was a culmination of minor changes that helped.

8. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    IMO it was more than a minor change it was a complete 180 for the good. If season 4 staff would of been there from the start the show would of made it 7 years like the other treks. Season 4 of enterprise was pretty damn good IMO I really enjoyed it.

9. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I keep forgetting I can rent it thru Netflix. I watch the stuff on HDNet sometimes but would like to rewatch S4 in particular again.

I agree, S4 was much better than the previous seasons. But, they were all good, just not good like TNG or DS9.

10. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Didn't something happen with the Germans and an alternative ending where the natzi's were the winners.

11. RSap121

RSap121 New Member

Jul 31, 2007

I have been told by Mark Cuban, co-founder of HDNet, to look into this problem. Tell me, how would you like this issue fixed? We will be happy to take care of this for you.

12. RSap121

RSap121 New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I have been told by Mark Cuban, co-founder of HDNet, to look into this problem. Tell me, how would you like this issue fixed? We will be happy to take care of this for you.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Actually, Coto came aboard in Season Three as a Co-executive producer but was handed the showrunner reigns for the improved Season 4.

Uhm sure. That stretch in Season 2 from A Night in Sickbay to The Expanse really moved me to tears... of frustration then to boredom. :p

No, that was Braga and his alien Nazis trying to change the outcome of WW2.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The character of the show may have changed somewhat, but there was no break in the continuity within "Enterprise". There was an effort to reconcile some of what had been going on in the show with established Trek canon (as well as fanon), where it had seemed to conflict. Of course this was a hopeless task, since Trek canon was already self-inconsistent long before "Enterprise". But we got some good stories out of it.

Due to the Temporal Cold War, history was changed (several times), but then it got (mostly?) changed back again. None of the changes appeared to have permanently affected the course of history as portrayed in the show.

15. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was having issues with the multiple recordings, but it seems to be back to recording the Monday 6pm PT episodes only.

16. AccidenT

AccidenT New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    South...
    Eh, I see it as the price I pay for watching a series that was already shown elsewhere, meaning the first-run flag probably doesn't mean anything. (I haven't tested this for sure, so setting the SP to "first-run only" might actually solve the "problem.") I don't think it's fair to chastise them for doing parallel runs to allow people who missed it the first time (on HDnet) to catch up. Removing some 1:00pm showings from the to-do list each week seems like less effort than queuing up the discs on bb online, swapping out discs as you go along, sending them back, etc.

17. trausch

trausch New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Pittsburgh

If you are for real and work for HDNET here is my answer to your question.

I see no point in "premiering" an episode once a week since I can already rent the entire series from Netflix or Blockbuster with very little effort. Therefore, you really don't have the captive audience that you would have if it were a new show. If I really want to watch Enterprise I will just rent it. With my up converting DVD player I can hardly see the difference between Direct TV HD and a DVD anyway.

During the summer months there is really not that much good television on. If HDNET would pump and advertise that they will be showing the entire series of a really good show (Smallville, Star Trek, etc) with a new episode every night for the entire summer I think you would get more people to tune in. You can then use this as an opportunity to pump your other shows like Bikini Destinations.

Star Trek has been shown in syndication on many networks for years (decades?). Earlier this year Spike was running two new episodes of Star Trek Voyager every weekday. Personally this was a little excessive as I could not make the time to watch all of them and had an incredibly large backlog.

I do like that you show the special features from the DVD during the last 20 minutes of the show. This is an innovative feature that you should continue.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Ok, I'll bite.
    Other than the beginning start up issues, how were TOS, TNG, and DS9 already hopelessly inconsistent?

19. AccidenT

AccidenT New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    South...
    I guess I'll pipe up and vote for keeping things the way they are. Even with only one per week I have a backlog of a few shows. If HDNet drops the weekly showings and keeps only the one-per-day showings, I'll have to stop watching.

20. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like the one per week as well.