Please confirm my understanding of using multiple Bolts

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Lomez, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jun 4, 2018 #1 of 12
    Lomez

Lomez New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Sorry for the long winded "question" .... you can skip to them bottom for the tl;dr

September 2016 I moved to a rental house and decided it was time to pay cable companies a little bit less. I bought a Bolt 500, got the cable card from the provider, and have been happy since. Not a single problem, beyond paying Tivo $150 every 12 months.

I also already had a FireTv which I used for the bedroom. It worked perfectly for what was needed - Netflix, Prime, etc. Occasionally, I would even use that Beta Tivo app to watch DVRed shows from the Bolt.

Bear in mind, this is a rental, but also an old house with 0 internal cabling. My WiFi signal is terrific, and sufficed for the streaming from Bolt to Fire in the remote room.

As we know, Tivo ditched the Beta app for Fire a few months ago. Minor annoyance, and change in my viewing habits, but c'est la vie. I was waiting to see if they would restore it. Don't see that happening.

Last week I got the "Aha moment" and realized I have a spare Bolt 500 that my Father did not take with him when he moved, which I have been holding on to for insurance. I decided to hook it to the remote TV and see if it could connect via WiFi to my legacy Bolt. (Remember, ethernet and MOCA are non starters).

You know the story: The second Bolt required a subscription (of course it does). For proof of concept, I have paid a month to see how it works, and I can copy (and to a lesser degree stream) recorded shows from the original Bolt. Since I have no second cable card, and won't be paying for one, that obviously does not work.

Clearly, paying $15 a month for the privilege of convenient viewing of some recorded shows is not a long term solution, considering my FireTV provides everything else I need and it's cost is already sunk.

So ... Questions:
    Am I correct to assume that once I discontinue the second subscription, the second box will lose visibility to the original immediately?

I assume they never will replace the Fire Tivo app.

Where is the market for getting rid of old Bolts? eBay?

2. Jun 4, 2018 #2 of 12
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    In addition to eBay, take a look here: Buyer/Seller Area

I don't have a Mini, but might be an option for you, not sure if it can connect to the Bolt over WiFi

3. Jun 4, 2018 #3 of 12
    Lomez

Lomez New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    @Tony_T
    Thanks. The Mini is ethernet or MoCA as far as I understand.

4. Jun 4, 2018 #4 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, that's the networking tech built-in to the Mini's, and all that TiVo officially supports; however, plenty of people successfully use Wi-Fi and Powerline to provide a network connection for Minis. Much depends on the environment and equipment used -- a big factor in TiVo only supporting Ethernet and MoCA. YMMV.

e.g.

5. Jun 4, 2018 #5 of 12
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It depends on if the service cancellation is immediate or when the currently paid-up term ends; but fairly immediate after cancellation. (You'll still see the service-less DVR listed on the local DVR, but won't be able to access its content.)

They're supposed to be working on a replacement.

Craigslist, eBay, TCF's buying/selling area.

6. Jun 5, 2018 #6 of 12
    aspexil

aspexil Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Yes. That is why WiFi bridges exist. Set it up next to the Tivo Mini and plug the Mini into the ethernet port of the bridge. We also set up our Tivo Bolt with a WiFi bridge. Both see each other and the Tivo Mini has all the access to the shows recorded on the Bolt and can also watch live shows. One thing I would recommend is to give both devices a static IP address on the network so they can find each other after a power outage, hiccup, etc.

7. Jun 5, 2018 #7 of 12
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If the network is setup properly, a static IP should not be needed. There should be no issues. On my home network I have over one hundred ten devices on it. While I do have sixty four DHCP reservations(which is different from static), the rest of the devices just pull an IP address as needed. That has never caused me any issues with wired TiVos, TiVos on a wireless Bridge, or other wireless or wired devices.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    JoeKustra likes this.
  8. Jun 5, 2018 #8 of 12
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    As you said, DHCP reservations should be all that is needed to help when there's a power outage

110 devices? 64 DHCP reservations?
    Wow :)

9. Jun 5, 2018 #9 of 12
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Another option is an Android Mi Box which can use the Google mobile version of the Tivo app.

10. Lomez

Lomez New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    You think that is happening? I don't. Was supposed to be a Q1 item.

Mini plus a Wifi bridge is .. $200 ish. The FireTv app was free, Lame.

11. CaseyJ

CaseyJ Always read the plaque

Apr 26, 2017
    I stream recorded shows from my Bolt to Firestick using TiVo Online and the Silk browser. It's not perfect but it works while I wait for a new app. I've even used it in hotels to stream OOH. Firefox doesn't work as well.

Lomez and krkaufman like this.
  12. Lomez

Lomez New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    ^ Strange as it may sound, that is probably one step too far for the better half.