Please clarify: Using Tivo Premiere as a tuner for digital cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by greenless, Oct 20, 2011.

1. greenless

greenless New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've seen a lot of threads on this board and others after Googling this, but I haven't seen a clear answer.

I bought a Tivo Premiere on the cheap and I'd like to use it as a cable box only. I do not care about DVR, Netflix, program guide data, etc.

All I want is to use my Time Warner cablecard to tune the cable channels I'm paying for in HD (USA, AMC, TBS, etc.).

The gist of the posts I see seem to be that after 30 days or so, the box will become a 'brick.' BUT... if I can still use the device to tune channels, I wouldn't consider it to be a brick. Does that make sense?

Basically, I just want similar functionality that I would get out of a TV with a cablecard slot.

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, makes sense. Yes, you can do that. A new box will work without a sub for a week; used box does not have that grace period. If you can run guided setup to get to the CableCARD install, you should be ok. If not, you may have to put service on for a month until you can get the box working.

What you really want is a TiVo Preview, but the aren't available yet.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Me thinks you mean Preview?

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    You are correct. Thanks. I've edited the post.

5. HazelW

HazelW Member

Dec 6, 2007
    No. Va
    Does TiVo still give you a one year commitment with monthly service?

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    They never did give you a one-year commitment, but they do require that you give them one.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You can run guided setup at anytime on any tivo whether it has a subscription or not. It's been this way since day 1 in 1999.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Guided Setup includes connecting to TiVo, Inc's servers, doesn't it, at which point the TiVo finds out you don't have a current sub?

9. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I'm sure they know you don't have a sub, but they don't care as long as you're in the one-week trial period after initial use.