Pleasant Surprise, VuDu on TiVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by foghorn2, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1 of 19
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas

Advertisements

Im not a big fan of streaming, but today I checked it out.

VuDu has movies free with commercials. Some movies were pretty good.
    The interface on the Roamio was pretty responsive and quick compared to the other apps.

I also added some of my BluRay digital codes. Not as good PQ, but real convenient to watch.

ClearToLand likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2017 #2 of 19
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have always had good luck with Vudu on my TiVos. Use it on my Bolt now and then and it works well. Really like Ultra Violet my account is shared with my Brother and Sister so we all get access to each others purchased Blu-rays. Just watched Passengers which I think my brother bought.

3. Jun 2, 2017 #3 of 19
    El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    We've used the movie rental feature of Vudu and have been pleased!

4. Jun 2, 2017 #4 of 19
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See also: VUDU - In Mobile Disc to Digital

5. Jun 2, 2017 #5 of 19
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas

Advertisements

I have my own disk to digital, its called a NAS with ISO's and HTPC with Kodi.

Either I own something, or I will watch with commercials, but never pay to watch commercials, or pay for solely digital in a cloud. I spin CD's/Vinyl and some cassettes :D

Good idea though for those who do not like physical media. But I have feeling people are going to stores with their cell phones and paying for digital only scheming the system.

6. Jun 3, 2017 #6 of 19
    dre_dbldbl

dre_dbldbl New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    San Francisco
    When scanning the barcode of the DvD for conversion, the app requests location services to verify the billing address of the credit card stored; if the scanning is not done in/near the geo-location, the conversion and subsequent purchase does not proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foghorn2 likes this.
  7. Jun 3, 2017 #7 of 19
    ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    DECADES ago, when I bought my first 'Home Entertainment Center CD Player' (Sony), I used it EXTREMELY minimally - I copied new CDs immediately to cassette (TDK Metal IIRC) via my Sony Cassette Recorder (has an adjustable Bias Control, IIRC). Later, I became 'intimate' with EAC and created CDs with multiple albums that would play for up to ~10 hours on my new 'MP3-capable' portable CD players and work PCs. This was WAY before flash drives.

My 1994 F-150 (first vehicle bought new) was only available with an AM/FM/Cassette radio, so I still play cassettes in my truck (just hit 65K / 23 years). But, I also added a 'FM Transmitter' (I can't recall their exact name at the moment) with a 1/8" plug to play MP3s that I pre-loaded on tiny SanDisk MP3 players (that run off 1 AAA battery - I have 4 with a variety of music). I just bought a new 'FM Transmitter' with Bluetooth and a USB socket, so shortly I'll be able to play tunes either from pre-loaded flash drives or my $33 Amazon Fire 7 tablet (that I carry around w/ my flip phone in lieu of wasting my money on a smartphone :p ).

Technology - dontcha just luv it? :)

BTW, my first Sony CD Player, even though sparsely used, died prematurely. *AND* my Sony Cassette Recorder started turning cassette tapes into 'fishing line' :mad: . *AND* my high-end Sony VHS Recorder died an unexpected premature death when 'someone ' *STAPLED* together a broken VHS rental movie. I took it as an omen and moved away from Sony...

foghorn2 likes this.
  8. Jun 3, 2017 #8 of 19
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I too like Vudu's free "Movies on Us". Like Crackle, it offers a selection of uncut movies at no cost but with ads, although I'd say Vudu is better. I rewatched A Fish Called Wanda on there recently, and The Master a few months ago. For folks without cable, it provides yet another set of viewing options.

foghorn2 and tim1724 like this.
  9. Jun 3, 2017 #9 of 19
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thats what you get for using Sony for VHS. Thats blasphemy. You get a Sony for BetaMax, and a JVC for VHS!!

10. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas

If VuDu/MegaLowMart were smart, they'd add on some streaming channels and charge a monthly fee.

11. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Yeah. That's the route that Amazon is going with their "Amazon Channels" initiative. And, of course, Wal-Mart bought Vudu to gain a toehold in the video streaming world to counter a similar move from their retail competitor Amazon. So, yeah, adding subscription streaming add-on channels to Vudu seems like a feasible possibility.

foghorn2 likes this.
  12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The caveat with storing media in the could is that if you violate the terms of service of the cloud provider, then they can terminate your account and deny you access to your media.

foghorn2 likes this.
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A seemingly different thing. Channels are an add-on subscription, with Amazon Prime being the base service.

VUDU's "Movies On Us" is something not offered by Amazon, and fits with VUDU's no-fee approach. Here's hoping they maintain these avenues of access even if they eventually offer any premium streaming functionality.

foghorn2 likes this.
  14. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Amazon has done some experiments with ad-supported video content recently, but you're right, I don't think they offer any on-going service in the same vein as the Vudu 'Movies On Us' content right now.

15. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thats why I physically own all my media. I dont believe in cloud only ownership. Plus a lot of my physical media have bonus content not found in the cloud. eg. Star Trek NG and OS Blu-Ray. Amazon has it too in HD, but no extra content.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  16. foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    VuDu on us is a bit like what Hulu once was. There was no entrance fee. The content was paid for by commercials. It supplemented my OTA and personal collection well.

A decade + ago on my first round of "cord cutting", I used Windows 7 Media Center HTPC with a OTA tuner and Hulu XL (defunct 10' HTPC interface), XBMC and a external harddrive with ISOs .

Hulu XL was excellent. No monthly fees. Good free content with reasonable commercials. Look at the farce it is now. Pure paid crapola, much like NutFlix. Nutflix caugh my Eye with Bill Nye, the Science Guy, but boy was that short lived and Nutflix went Bye-Bye :D

Hope VuDu keeps it up. The interface is nice and fast on the Tivo. They jsut need to add more "on us" content and If they ever start up a reasonable streaming service for a good price, I might even subscribe.

17. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Well, Amazon and VUDU both started as TVOD (transactional VOD, i.e. pay to rent or own). Then Amazon added their SVOD (subscription VOD) Prime Video service, to which Amazon Channels are add-ons. You're right that VUDU hasn't yet offered any SVOD services. But now they're offering the free Movies on Us as a way to drive more traffic to their app and sell some ads. So they may be open to evolving the business model in other ways, like offering paid SVOD add-ons similar to Amazon Channels. Or not. Who knows, I was just agreeing with foghorn2 that it seems plausible and could be a way for VUDU to make their app even stickier and a bit more profitable. Showtime, HBO, etc. have shown a willingness to allow their streaming services to be distributed by pretty much anyone who wants to. Why not Wal-Mart/VUDU?

And as someone above pointed out, Amazon does now offer some free content to stream, although they're not yet at the level of VUDU or Crackle. I don't think Amazon offers big-name Hollywood films, for instance, but more obscure stuff and old TV shows.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :eek: I always liked my Sony VCRs over my JVC VCRs. Just that the Sony ones were more expensive. Those things were around $500!

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So don't violate the terms of the service. I've been using Vudu for close to ten years now. Although I used them a lot more in 2008 and 2009 than I do now. But I still have access to the first few titles I purchased. Back in January 2008.

EDIT: I see my first rental was Babylon 5: The Lost tales. And the first title I bought was The Bourne Ultimatum. Which at some point they upgraded from HD to HDX. Although now I have the UHD UV streaming rights, since I own the UHD BD.

:eek: I paid $25 for that Bourne movie. But if I remember correctly, I got a $100 credit with the first Vudu box I bought back then. $50 for the second one. And it looks like I got a $200 credit with the third, in late 2008.

I think I might still have those initial Vudu boxes somewhere. Or I threw them out last year when I did a major clean up of my old electronic devices.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017