PlayStation3 & TiVo (merged thread)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by DavidA_UK, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 36
    DavidA_UK

DavidA_UK New Member

Feb 10, 2004

Advertisements

Sony will be announcing the PVR addon for their PlayStation3 next month. There are some rumours floating around that it could use TiVo.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=17001

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 36
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    If it does I bet it will only be for American PS3 units.

In the UK as usual we will get nothing :(

Automan.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 36
    Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    It'll probably be for remote playback and control, as the PS3 streams music and video (in the right formats) from my PC running Azureus or Media Player. That's what I have the XBMC for though.

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 36
    DavidA_UK

DavidA_UK New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    While I wouldn't get your hopes up, I think it's very unlikely that they'd have a different PVR system for PAL. The PS3 is video standard agnostic, after all.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 36
    cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland

Advertisements

There're a few news reports out that the PS3 is to get a freeview tuner (is there an expansion bay for one to go into?) - so we could very well have a new uk tivo on our hands...

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertai...3-to-get-freeview-tv-tuner?articleid=48752492

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 36
    mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    Oh, and how many UK PS3 owners do you think will be happy to pay £10/month for guide data when their Toppy and Humax-owning friends get it all for free? :(

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 36
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Funny you mention humax, as they are another one with a tivo licence that didn't bother in the UK (www.humaxusa.com)

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 36
    cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland
    I think Sony have some sort of licence arrangement. I don't think TiVo would be running the show somehow.

(&obviously, no, £10 a month for guide data is no longer a serious business model)

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 36
    ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    How so?

In the US, I believe they still charge $20 for guide data.

Admittedly their software and hardware moves on... :)

10. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    I've no real desire for a PS3 - the Wii is more fun and I don't feel like shelling out for a HD player until the format war is decided.

But the PS3 does run Linux....
    And *if* it got (dual) Freeview Tuners - there are enough spare USB sockets
    And *if* it got TiVo (or MythTV) - it's got more than enough horsepower
    And *if* it recorded the bitstream directly - there's a big ol' HDD in there
    And *if* the PS3 didn't require a new mortgage to buy....

I could see a brand new addition to the media shelf... And I suspect so could a lot of people.

I'm guessing that you could build a Myth Box on there now - I've not looked - but proper TiVo service.... I'd like that!

11. andyjenkins

andyjenkins New Member

Jul 29, 2001
    England, UK
    I think it has ... even theives are only stealing BD's now.

Yes it does.
    Ah, but they're all on the front- which means its going to be real fugly to plug anything into it.
    Easily
    Nah .. only 60GB - not that big.
    Horses for course on that one. Some think its ridiculously over priced, some think its good value considering the functionality. Some even think its comparable value to that of the XBOS 360. Personally, its not expensive. If a new HD capable TiVo hit the market in the UK - people would falling over themselves to buy one at £400 notes I expect. After all, many of us did for our aged Series 1 (where's they £399 on launch? Or was it £299???)

12. Nero2

Nero2 New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    UK
    Scant details but this certainly looks interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/technology/6958233.stm

In summary Sony are launching a TV tuner plug in for the PS3 that allows it to act as a PVR. It also has the added capability of wirelessly streaming the programmes over to your PSP. Now if they added decent EPG data, could this be the long overdue Tivo rival?

(Not sure if I should have posted this in the chit-chat forum instead, an apology if this is in the wrong place.)

13. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
  14. Nero2

Nero2 New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    UK
    Oops sorry, didn't notice that one.

15. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    Looks like an interesting one, if they can make it reliable on season recordings, seems only TiVo and MCE have managed it so far, Sky+ and other FreeView PVRs seem to struggle.

I know the Freeview Playback spec or whatever it's called is supposed to give this, but I'll believe it when I see it :)

I'd rather be able to use my PS3 as an extender for my MCE, but I can't see that happening somehow :p

16. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The Sky+ version is fairly reliable, but it's not intelligent. Set it for the 10pm Friday showing a series and it will never, ever, record the Sunday 2pm repeat, even is a clash prevents the Friday recording.

This is bad, but on the other had you don't get a hard disk full of duplicates as you often get with TiVo or MCE if the guide data isn't up to scratch. Elements of swings and roundabouts.

17. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Given that Microsoft make a loss on every Xbox 360 that is just used as an MCE extender, I can't see that Sony would follow that route. They need to recoup every penny that they can get on games sales.

18. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hopefully Sony won't have a choice; I believe that people have Linux running on a PS3 now.

19. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    I'm not convinced that would happen unless it had multiple tuners. Once you are used to that (myself, via Windows MCE), I can't see that anybody would ever go back to a single tuner. So long as a PVR has a proper long-term Season Pass facility, I find the advantages of multiple tuners far outweigh any differences in UI.