PlayStation Vue shutting down in January.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by EWiser, Oct 29, 2019.

1. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
  3. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Last I heard they'd been looking for a buyer; guess they didn't find one.

At one time they had the best sports lineup of any of the streaming pseudo-cable offerings. I honestly think they could have done better if they'd just changed that silly name; too many people still thought that it was a PlayStation-only service!

hapster85 likes this.
  4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Is Vue the TV service?

5. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    (what I read elsewhere):
    The PlayStation Vue OTT streaming service is shutting down on Jan. 30, 2020, after almost five years. “Unfortunately, the highly competitive pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected. Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business,” Sony Interactive Entertainment deputy president John Kodera said in a statement.

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Why did they think it would change? The streaming companies are hitting a gap that will not continue. Seems they aren’t all making money.

7. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    PS Vue only had about 500,000 subscribers of which I am one. My opinion is the name was a big problem. Whenever I would describe it to people they'd say so I need a Playstation to use it? Even after I had already said you don't need a PS to use it they just didn't get it. Simply changing the name to Sony Vue may have helped a lot. It's a shame since its probably got the best channel lineup and interface of all the services.

cwerdna and dcheesi like this.
  8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    And the underlying fact is that "good" content (translated: content that sells) costs a lot to produce and we consumers are going to pay for it one way or another, i.e., cutting the cord isn't a way to save money. Unless, perhaps you are willing to settle for mediocre content and commercials.

However OTT video does at least get you free of the oppressive and depressing customer interface of cable cos.

9. Nov 2, 2019 #9 of 22
    MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    .... and that's exactly why they are shutting down. Because they killed themselves out of the gate with a bad name choice, and the average person just doesn't know this.

"Playstation Vue". Everybody I know, thought it meant that they needed a Sony Playstation just to access it.

cwerdna likes this.
  10. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I never gave it a second thought for that very reason. Hell, I never gave it a first thought for that reason.

MikeBear likes this.
  11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If their market research shows that the name was hurting them, all they’d have to do is rebrand. But they are saying programming costs are too high. Notice that the “cheap” services have fewer channels. Like Sling’s trick of orange and blue with lots of add ons. (And Sling isn’t by genre but by production company!)

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Even differentiating the product by changing the name wouldn't have gone far enough. You still had to pay for it in a really weird way (at least to me as a non-gamer). I had to constantly buy credits to put on some kind of Playstation account to pay my subscription. It was just a bizarre, unnecessary complication that I never understood and eventually got very tired of. Between that and cutting huge blocks of channels was enough to make me drop them years ago. It's a real shame, because in most other respects it was an excellent service.

13. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Huh? I had Vue until a few months ago[1], and I just paid for it on my credit card with auto-pay :confused:

[1]Moved in with my SO, who has FIOS w/ TV service, and no plans to drop it

jryken99 likes this.
  14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I had it several years ago, and that’s how you had to pay. Sounds like it’s changed.

15. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I've never had a problem paying for content. It was all of the BS fees the cable/satellite providers tack on to pump up their bottom line. I got tired of playing that game. So I dumped them. I do indeed save money, with my total bill being far less than than it was with cable/satellite.

PS Vue was the first service we tried after dumping cable. I mostly liked the interface and performance. I think the name was definitely a barrier to their success.

16. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I knew it but would forget. I had to look it up a time or three to make sure I wasn't confused with their streaming game service. I agree with you and others the name did them no favors.

MikeBear likes this.
  17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Obviously it depends on how much your Cable TV provider soaks you, and what streaming services you require to meet your needs. In my case, the last time I compared, the cost of the PS Vue package that I needed to replace what I watch on Cable TV (Spectrum) was just about a break even. And PS Vue was raising their price much faster than the Cable co. IIRC they increased the Core package by $10 in just over a year.

18. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    PS Vue name hurt the number of subscribers which hurt their ability to negotiate better deals because of the low subscriber base. As for the payment method, never had an issue since it was setup as a recurring charge on their site. They would deduct the monthly fee and place it their "wallet" ( I think that's what they call it) and then it would be paid to PS Vue.

19. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    Credit card, Paypal and other localised payment systems have been a part of PSN's payment methods for far longer than PS Vue exists. You have to add Paypal, a credit card, debit card or any of the other payment methods tho thru the PSN account page.

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    From Sony's website:
    Amazon Pay did not exist when I had Vue. So I had to set up the aforementioned wallet and add funds from a PSN card that had no connection to my billing address because I did not use the service at my billing address. This was not as simple as paying with a credit card.

As someone who is not a gamer, I had no need to set up any sort of PSN account other than to have this required "wallet" for maintaining my Vue service. I always found it to be a needlessly complicated payment system.

In any case, my point is the complex payment system put me off. It's much easier to pay for other streaming services.

hapster85 likes this.