Playon Plugin, PyTivo, and Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JerryAC, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1 of 18
    JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    Is anyone using PyTivo with the Playon Plugin successfully with a Roamio OTA?

In the past I have successfully connected and recorded Playon channel content with my Tivo Premiere and Tivo S3HD. I have installed the PyTivo, Python, and Playon Plugin for PyTivo.

I see the programming on the Tivo screens, but the recording will not start. The Tivo menu says it will start after the previous transfer is complete. There is no previous transfer to complete. The blue ring never appears on the Tivo box.

I have successfully transferred PlayLater shows from my computer to the Tivo's. But it is not without issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

All of the instructions I find on the web are somewhat circular. It seems every page has a link to another step, which most of the time appears to break the logical chain of instructions.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

2. Sep 2, 2015 #2 of 18
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What version of pyTivo are you using? Does it work with video files other than PlayOn streams?
    I would recommend the latest WMcBrine version here:
    http://github.com/wmcbrine/pytivo
    I recommend the installation instructions here:
    http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install

The current version of the PlayOn plugin is attached to this post on the pyTivo forum: http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/post15314.html#15314
    Is that what you're using?

I recently purchased a Roamio base model and briefly verified the plugin works with it a few days ago. I'm using a WMcBrine pyTivo version that is a few months old -- possibly the very latest version changed things. Will have to check that.

3. Sep 2, 2015 #3 of 18
    JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    Thanks for the help. Should I wipe everything and start over?

4. Sep 2, 2015 #4 of 18
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How exactly does this plugin work? Does it allow you to use PlyOn, without their PlayLater software, to record streaming shows directly to your TiVo? Does it offer a push mode where it will record automatically when a new episode appears?

5. Sep 2, 2015 #5 of 18
    JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    You do not need PlayLater to record to the Tivo. I never did use it to automatically push new content to the Tivo. Not saying it couldn't, but I was unaware of such a feature.

When I could use it with my Premiere and S3HD, it would allow me to record a live stream or on demand content to the Tivo. It would record a few minutes, then allow me to watch the content while it was recording. My channel source was the PlayOn media server. I could reliably connect to live streams with Playon scripts a few years ago. They are less reliable now, but still work.

I like the Tivo because it allows me to keep recording if I want to pause it. I also can skip content I don't want to see, like the commercials. If I did this through the PlayOn Roku channel, the live stream would drop.

6. Sep 2, 2015 #6 of 18
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The plugin normally allows both push and pull of PlayOn streaming content (independent of PlayLater). However I've just been testing it with the latest WMcBrine pyTivo and PlayOn pushes are broken. PlayOn pushes and pulls both work with the previous pyTivo version I was using, dated 6/19/2014 in the Git repo.

PlayLater saved .mp4 files will push or pull with pyTiVo, but this functionality has nothing to do with the PlayOn plugin. However, since the plugin doesn't support HD resolution, using PlayLater HD saved .mp4 files may be preferable.

I'm trying to understand the problem with pushes now.

7. Sep 2, 2015 #7 of 18
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Update on PlayOn push problem:

Apparently the problem was in my pytivo.conf file. I just upgraded to a Roamio base model and I didn't delete the following entry that applied to my (now disconnected) TiVo HD:

Code:
    [_tivo_65200018065####]
    aspect169 = true

After I commented out those lines, PlayOn pushes worked.

This is good but it reminds me I've never tested the PlayOn plugin with multiple active TiVo's on my network. I hope this experience doesn't mean there will be a problem then.

BTW, although PlayOn pulls or pushes are limited to SD, they are 16:9 aspect and look pretty decent on my little 40" LCD TV.

8. Sep 2, 2015 #8 of 18
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Why are they only SD? They offer a $10 add-on for HD does that change how pyTiVo works too?

9. Sep 2, 2015 #9 of 18
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    PlayOn doesn't officially support the pyTivo plugin or Tivo in general. The plugin is a hack originally developed by another programmer and now being maintained by me. It uses a particular Wii User Agent string that is SD only. I've tried subbing other UA strings but nothing worked, and PlayOn offers no help. I admit to not fully understanding a lot of the code, although I have been able to make some improvements. The code for both pyTivo and the plugin are in python so anyone can look at it.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I just now realized you responded to my questions by inserting text in the quote of my prior post -- confusing so I didn't notice till now.

At the wmcbrine github link, isn't there a "download zip" button on the right side?

The file you add to is the pytivo.conf file that you have created in order to get pyTivo working without the playon plugin.

11. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    I found a PyTivo setup program named SetupPyTivo-v2 during a Google search.

https://code.google.com/p/pytivo-jkasyan-fork/downloads/detail?name=SetupPyTivo-v2.exe&can=2&q=

I deleted all of my PyTivo, PyThon, and Playon Plugin programs / files before installing SetupPyTivo-v2.

This installer placed the PyTivo program into the [User]/Appdata folder. It appears all of the modifications have been made in the pytivo conf file per the instructions provided in the link given prior in this thread.

Unfortunately, the same problem exists with this install. The video files show up on the Tivo menus, but will not transfer. The Tivo says the file will be transferred after a previous file has completed transfer. There is no previous file transferring.

12. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    I am trying this one more time. Uninstalled everything installed prior for pytivo. Going by supplied instructions from link provide in this thread.

When I get to the renaming the pytivo.conf.dist file to pytivo.conf, it remames it to pytivo, removing the ".conf" suffix. The file contents follow:

# This is an example config file, showing all the options. You probably
    # won't need most of them. Your working config file will be named
    # "pyTivo.conf". '#' starts a comment. It is recommended that
    # that you use the Web Administration tool to modify pyTivo.conf after
    # you get pyTivo up and running. You can access the tool by pointing your
    # browser to http://localhost:9032/

# Read the pyTivo support wiki for additional help at
    # http://pytivo.sourceforge.net

[Server]
    port=9032

# FFmpeg is a required tool but downloaded separately. See pyTivo wiki
    # for help.
    # Full path to ffmpeg including filename
    # For windows: ffmpeg=C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
    # For linux: ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
    #ffmpeg=C:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
    ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg

# Setting this to True will log more ouput for debugging purposes.
    #debug=False

# Max video bitrate, default 30000k
    # sets ffmpeg -maxrate setting to minimize bitrate peak playback issues.
    # mpegs with video bitrate above this setting will also be transcoded.
    #MAX_VIDEO_BR=17408k

# Audio bit-rate, defaults to 192K for S2, 384K for S3/HD
    #audio_br=320K

# Video bit-rate, defaults to 4096K for S2, 8192K for S3/HD
    #video_br=12Mi

# Beacon broadcast address(es)
    # The default is 255.255.255.255, but on some multihomed machines you
    # may need to specify the subnet broadcast address(es) of your Tivo
    # boxes. You can also specify "listen" to listen for direct connection
    # attempts on port 2190, for use with the "Manually add a server..."
    # function. (And if you set beacon to listen _only_, it turns off
    # broadcasts.)
    #beacon=192.168.1.255 listen

# Output Pixel Width:
    # Width, defaults to 544 for S2, 1920 for S3/HD
    # Height, defaults to 480 for S2, 1080 for S3/HD
    # Valid widths: [S3/HD = 1920, 1440, 1280], [S2/S3/HD = 720, 704, 544, 480, 352]
    # Valid heights: [S3/HD = 1080, 720], [S2/S3/HD = 480]
    #width=1920
    #height=1080
    #ffmpeg_tmpl=%(video_codec)s %(video_fps)s %(video_br)s %(max_video_br)s %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s %(audio_br)s %(audio_fr)s %(audio_ch)s %(audio_codec)s %(ffmpeg_pram)s %(format)s

# Togo settings:
    # Set this up if you wish to have TiVo ToGo support. This allows you to
    # copy videos from your TiVo via a web page.
    #
    #tivo_mak=<Your Media Access Key>
    #togo_path=<path where movies will go or a section name>

# Per tivo options
    # section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
    #[_tivo_00000DEADBEEF]

# If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
    #aspect169=true

#width=1440
    #height=720
    #audio_br=320K
    #video_br=12Mi
    #ffmpeg_tmpl=%(video_codec)s %(video_fps)s %(video_br)s %(max_video_br)s %(buff_size)s %(aspect_ratio)s %(audio_br)s %(audio_fr)s %(audio_ch)s %(audio_codec)s %(ffmpeg_pram)s %(format)s

#[_tivo_HD]
    # section for default video options applicable to all HD TiVos
    # see pyTivo Settings for all available settings

#[_tivo_SD]
    # section for default video options applicable to all SD TiVos
    # see pyTivo Settings for all available settings

[MyMovies]
    # Type can be 'video', 'music', or 'photo'
    type=video

# Path is the full path to your files (No trailing slash needed)
    # For windows: path=c:\videos
    # For linux: path=/media
    path=/home/armooo/Videos

# You can have more than one share
    #[MyTelevision]
    #type=video
    #path=d:\television

The contents are not formatted as above though. (don't understand why they formatted this way when I pasted into this forum post.)

The instructions link graphic shows the file name "pytivo.conf", my computer shows it as "pytivo". The ".conf" is erased on my file folder screen.

Which of the ffmeg file links do I install? "Static", "Shared", "Dev"? I used the 32 bit Static on my prior installs.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I can't vouch for the installer program you used. I recommend getting the zip file from the github link I gave. Install the files in a folder such as C:\pytivo and follow the instructions given for Windows installation in the wiki.

To put text in a post preserving formatting, enclose it between code tags. Select the text and use the # button above the post text editing window.

Your Explorer may have the .conf extension set to hidden.

A line starting with # is commented out in pytivo.conf -- has no effect.

The static-32bit ffmpeg works fine for me and I run a 64-bit windows.

Most of the items in pytivo.conf.dist aren't needed and can be left commented.
    Refer to the two links given near the top for more info. Post your best shot at pyTivo.conf here (between code tags) and I or someone will try to help.

Run pyTivo in a command window and copy-and-paste whatever text it displays here (in code tags).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  14. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR
    Thanks for your help. I think I have it working. I installed according to your links. I think my problem was I installed the incorrect pywin32 file. Currently I am transferring a PlayLater recording to Tivo Premiere. Will try to record a Playon on demand channel when that is finished.

Currently I can watch 2 live stream scripts channels on Playon, and transfer PlayLater videos.

Do I have to restart the PyTivo.exe every time I connect to the netwrk my Tivos are on? Or when I restart my laptop?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  15. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Is there an updated way to transfer shows from playon to Tivo?

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Wow, kind of a blast from the past! AFAIK the answer is 'no'. The PlayOn plug-in broke years ago, so long I can't even recall the details. I still have PlayOn but no longer use it. Last I knew, their recordings are a rather meager 3 Mbps H.264, which barely qualifies as HD. That and having to keep a PC working in order to use it have caused me to lose interest compared to the many streaming options available, including cloud DVR's, on devices such as Amazon Fire TV and Roku. I was also disappointed that PlayOn shut down their forums, although they kept implying it was temporary.

17. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    It seems the software is mostly an artifact of a different era. The primary rationale was that there were a bunch of steaming sites that were primarily accessed by computer. It was great being able to access them on the any DLNA-equipped device (or tivo via the plugin). These days almost everything can be accessed through a dedicated media streamer without the need for messy transcoding steps.

18. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I think that you can still use Playlater, point PyTivo at the Playlater folder, and transfer the recorded content.