PlayOn DVR.

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by EWiser, Jun 4, 2020.

1. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Saw this while reading tech news this morning it mentions the TIVO 4K and recording. Those would want to record might want to check this out.

PlayOn gives cord-cutters an offline DVR, but it's pricey

Noelmel and SugarBowl like this.
  2. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    Netflix, and many other services let you download locally now, why would anyone need PlayOn?

Noelmel likes this.
  3. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I suppose the advantage is once you have the files, they are your files forever. I assume if you download directly from a service (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu), your download only works as long as you still subscribe to the service.

Noelmel and Mikeguy like this.
  4. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    You see people ask this question all the time. To record a stream. It’s just people not adjusting to the new world of on demand content. That why TiVo is making the stream to try to remain relevant in this new world.

5. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    The idea or system of paying over and over again in perpetuity for something that should only only be paid for once is just another form of corporate welfare. You know what you can do with your new world order, but don't soft pedal when your shoveling the corporate welfare Kool-Aid.

fcfc2 and Mikeguy like this.
  6. saeba

saeba Active Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Atlanta...
    Not for all of us.

Those of us who've been streaming for some time are aware that content appears and disappears from content providers. Now you can likely continue to access this content by purchasing a subscription to yet another content provider, but why not just capture the content that you really like while it is available on one of your current subscriptions in order to ensure you have ongoing access? PlayOn provides a reasonable mechanism to do this.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Netflix and many other services let you download some (but not all) things locally now, which is why someone could need PlayOn.

8. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I don't understand how PlayOn is able to record the content. It doesn't sound like it's done locally at the HDMI level. Is it I give them my credentials and then they stream the content as me and they record it from there?

The article posted said they have been in business for 10 years. I never would have guessed that. I would have thought they'd have been shut down by now.

It is pricey, but I'm thinking about it for certain shows.

9. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I have their desktop lifetime account since forever. I rarely use it. If I can get 1080p, I don't use Playon cause, to my knowledge, it only lets you record 720p. You are streaming on your PC live and it records in real time, it's not a download.